Strange issue

pensfan

Registered
I have posted this in the discussion forums at Apple and thought I'd post it here, as well. It's a strange one, indeed.
I have a weird issue occurring on my iMac. I don't call it a problem, because it's not affecting my ability to use my computer, but it's definitely weird.
The issue is that Microsoft Office 2004 keeps randomly appearing in my trash. I can't really pinpoint how, why, when, but when I put something into the trash and go to empty it, Office 2004 is frequently in there as well. It's the folder with all the programs.
It's been happening since I had Tiger on the system. I've subsequently upgraded to Leopard and it's continued.
I have Office 2008 on my computer now and I've used the Remove Office tool multiple times to remove the 2004 version. It doesn't seem to clear the issue.
For more background, this seemed to occur last year when I decided to remove Entourage 2004. I had at some point last year given it a try and decided I liked Mail/iCal/Address Book better. So I zapped Entourage.
Ever since, the entire Office 2004 suite keeps showing up in my trash. Doesn't matter if I empty, if I secure empty, whatever.
It's not a problem per se because it's not inhibiting my ability to use the computer, but it sure is strange.
Any thoughts?

My only thought is that somehow when you use the remove tool, it installs some "cleanup" script that is somehow lodged in your system ... perhaps due to incorrect permissions or a bug or something of that nature.

Have you repaired permissions?

Have a look at System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items (for all users) and remove anything Microsoft related. Also have a look at Hard Drive > Library > StartupItems and Launch Daemons for anything suspicious. You'll also want to check the same two folders in your home folder > Library

Have you updated Microsoft Office 2008 to the latest update?

Wow. The hunting Office story, sounds like a thriller novel in the making! ::evil::

After you remove Office 04, have you tried to restart the computer?
How did you upgrade to Leopard? For example, upgrade, or archive ?
I believe I read, awhile back, Office 2008 removal tool had trouble removing Office 04 from a archive folder created from OSX when upgrading from Tiger-> Leopard.

It is an odd thing and it seems like there should be a punch line :)
Alas, there is not.
Macworks, I've tried all of those steps and nothing was there. I've never seen anything like this.

Back