Strange network issue - dns

granbar000

Registered
My daughters iMac recently started behaving strangely when connected to the home network. It connects ok to both wireless and wired networks, and recieves dhcp address from the router ok. Then after a few seconds of use it stops performing name resolution. After some searching around I've found that somehow /etc/resolv.conf is being rewritten. On recieving dhcp address it is initialized with the correct setting 192.168.1.1 then after a while this address is replaced with 85.255.115.60 and 85.255.112.106. These addresses are unavailable, so of course name resolution stops working. I've made a quick workaround by adding 192.168.1.1 as a static dns server but I suspect something weird is going on here, and would like to fix it permanently.

This has been working for several months without a hitch, and the other machines on the network are all ok. Oh, and everything is patched up.

Any hints?

Last edited:
Well your Daughter may have gotten the ONLY trojan for OS X. The trojan asks for a QuickTime codec to view a p0rn video (usually liked in a forum web pointer). Well a cool DNS changer came from an anti-virus maker for OS X (SecureMac) called the DNSChanger Removal Tool. So run this to see if her iMac got it.

Then go over to OpenDNS.com and start using their service (on ANY computer). Then open a free account and sign in. This way you can block phishing sites along with many others, even ones you specially want. It is VERY handy to use from home!

Now you really only need two free QuickTime plugins that will view 99% of video from the net. The plugins are both free and are Perian and Flip4Mac. This way she will be able to view almost any non DRMed Windows Media 10+ streams.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Thanks, worked like a charm. I suspected something like this.

Now for the fine art of figuring out whether the girl or her younger brother is the culprit.....

Back