Strange Prob - Files are disappearing

RadMac

Registered
I have a G5 running Tiger 10.4.7

I was in a folder (list view) deleting a couple of files when the whole folder became empty. I looked in the trash and the files were not there, just disappeared.

I checked the SMART status on the drive and repaired. Said there were no problems.

A few days later I was only looking through a folder list on a separate drive and it went blank on me as well.

Does not appear to be hardware, more finder related, but not sure what I need to be checking. Appreciate any help as my confidence in my backups is a bit of a concern now as well.

1st instance was on my boot drive. I have a old Eudora attachment folder that I sometimes need to pull a file from. I had a couple of versions of one and deleted them. All of a sudden, went from several thousand files to none. (drive space did not increase).

Another was on a separate drive, a couple of layers down looking at some mp3 files. Again, I trashed one and the list went to empty.

The Eudora folder listing is now correct after a reboot. It seems to be a Finder issue, so my next step is to trash the preferences I guess.

Back