Strange Safari/MySpace Error

robian

Registered
My son is unable to log on to MySpace with Safari (although Firefox works just fine)... Just curious about what you guys think it might be. (he's running 10.4.8 w/ the latest version of Safari)

Here's the error message:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

sounds like a poorly coded page...which is not uncommon for a MySpace page! ;)

I presume this error message appeared in the browser as a webpage, and not in a normal Mac error message box with an OK button? I ask because if the error was inside an error dialog box it is morelikely to be a safari problem (though still not necessarily), whereas if the error appeared inside safari it points to a problem on their end.

Of course, ordinarily a server-side problem would still exist no matter what browser you are using, but I wonder if the site is using some kind of client-side script to send information to a server-side handler, which Safari is not doing.

MySpace pages are often loaded with JavaScript and other elements that can cause problems. Try turning off things like JavaScript, Java and plug-ins (such as Flash) and load the page to narrow down the problem. If you diable JavaScript and the page loads, then you know what the problem is. You can change these settings by going to Safari > Preferences, then clicking on the Security tab

Yes... the message appears in the browser as a webpage... disabling Java and plug-ins etc, does not help. This, BTW, affects only one of our three computers... the others are able to log on to MySpace using Safari. Someone else, however, reported the identical prob w/ Safari on the MySpace forum, so it's not just my son's computer. Pretty strange...

I am having exactly the same problem safari is working fine but I can't seem to get onto myspace If you find out what the problem is you please let my know

My son is unable to log on to MySpace with Safari (although Firefox works just fine)... Just curious about what you guys think it might be. (he's running 10.4.8 w/ the latest version of Safari)

Here's the error message:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Anybody else have any ideas about this? I've now heard of at least six or eight folks who are having this identical problem. (one person actually reported that she's having it on Firefox as well...)

I haven't had any of these problems on my iMac G5 (512 MB RAM, 10.4.9, Firefox 2.0.0.3). I will try with Safari.

I have noticed that at certain times during the day, MySpace starts to hiccup really badly. Sometimes the page won't load up at all, and other times it just partially loads. I notice that I'm usually getting the "Myspace has experienced an error" message and sometimes have problems logging in (yes, i've checked the URL to make sure it wasn't a phishing address). I figure that if your mac browser is working on everything else but not on MySpace, the issue might be with MySpace (remember that it's catered more towards Windows/IE users than anyone else. It's not very friendly with browsers that adhere to web standards).

This turns out to be some sort of conflict caused by a cookie that interacts incorrectly with one of the newer MySpace code updates. The solution is to Remove All cookies. Then Safari works again as it should.

Back