Strange screen artifacts

Natobasso

Tech-Bot 5000
I was using Audacity on my mac running 10.4.11, on some seriously large files (85MB mp3s were exported from these original wav files!), when during this these red vertical lines started popping up on my screen; mainly where a window had been moved.

These lines haven't gone away and I'm not sure how to fix this problem.

I'm stumped! Having repaired permissions and run the Disk Utility from the Install disk, I'm at a total loss. The intro/gray screen, apple logo doesn't have the red lines, but every other screen does. Very annoying.

Any ideas?

What kind of Mac is this? I've heard that the Nvidia graphics cards on the last generation of MacBook Pros had problems.

Sorry, my mac is a Powerbook G4 Titanium with 10.4.11 installed, 64MB video card. Will get actual model when I have time to get on that computer later tonight or tomorrow.

Have you tried changing the screen resolutions back and forth? I get occasional gremlins in the eMac's monitor, and I solve them with the aforementioned method.

My vid card info:
ATI Mobility Radeon 9600:

Chipset Model: ATY,RV350M10
Type: Display
Bus: AGP
VRAM (Total): 64 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x4e50
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-xxxxx-117
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1280 x 854
Depth: 32-bit Color
Built-In: Yes
Core Image: Supported
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Display:

I switched screen resolutions and the problem persists. Gonna have to shell out to get a new video card. Or should I just spend $999 and get the 13" MacBook? :)

Macbook with no firewire for more serious audio apps might be a mistake - the better sound interfaces are very often fw400 I think. If its just a bit of recording via the mic-in then its probably not a problem. In the latter case I'd buy the MacBook if i coudl afford it :) .

I do have two hard drives that are firewire so no firewire is a big turn off at this point. Fortunately only the newest MacBook line is firewire-less...

Back