Strategy: porting iTunes for Windows to impose QuickTime

Originally posted by macosXrumors
I've just posted an article revealing another rather unknown reason why Apple wants to port iTunes for Windows.

HERE
You confuse two concepts. QuickTime is Apple's APIs devoted to multimedia. The QuickTime Player is an application that is written to those APIs.

They could just embed the engine in iTunes... no real need for full QT.... they only need the engine.. since it is a complete revrite of the app... cause there is no itunes for win.. they could just go on and embed it.... just a thought

The question is wether or not Apple wants to make QuickTime Player needed. The article says they want it...

Of course Apple could make iTunes stand-alone, but this would not benefit them as much...

I don't see the need for Apple to make Quick Time Player a requirement because users can still use other media players to view video files and associate those files to their prefered players. iTunes the app itself is needed for decoding AAC audio format. If the codec is handled in a simliar way as QT codecs that they can just port that bit of code.

Lycander, Apple needs to impose QuickTime, no matter which player is used the most often. They'll probably force PC users to install it, even if it's easy to just put some part of QuickTime in iTunes for Windows. What they matter is that the containers and codecs they support can be played on most of the computers of the world. I don't totally disagree with what you're saying though because I also think that at the moment, the competition is better than Apple on the media players market as you can see on the end of my posting, I'm quite disappointed with Apple's free player.

Dlloyd, I think a lot of threads here link to other sites, my site is non-profit, but, ok, it's me, mentioning my own site, let's call it advertising then. So if you really think it's not revelant to the forum, not interesting and that it's just for having free advertising and making money, then you should alert the administrators so that they judge by themselves if they drop the thread.

From the site rules
No ads for other websites unless authorized - Don't register an account and expect to promote your new Mac site on this site. Permission may be granted and has in the past. Ask before doing so.
I was just wondering :) I won't rat on you though.

Apple first told only about iTMS, then later confirmed iTunes will ported to Windows. Sources added it will probably have the same features as the Mac version, though not confirmed.

It's a nice thought, but actually, Apple has many QuickTime Windows downloads, while iTunes for Windows will be new and have no customers at all at the zero-point. So it's going to be rather the other way 'round. Probably, QT downloads (which happen many times a day because of movie trailers etc.) will contain a link to the iTunes for Windows download.

Sure, after some time, iTunes downloads might turn on, and they can be used for advertising QuickTime (or invoking a download, if the user hasn't got it already).

But that means nothing but that software A) from Apple will be an advertisment for software B) from Apple.

It's called using synergies. And it happens all the time (and doesn't start with iTunes for Windows...).

I'm sure that iTunes will meet a big success on Windows even the first day it will be released. At worst it will just be popular, at best, it will simply replace WinAmp. If it has at least 1/4 of the success of Winamp, then it's going to boost QuickTime downloads. The oposite will happen too of course, as you say, those who are downloading QuickTime will also notice the existence of iTunes and will get it too.

Time will tell. If Apple wants QuickTime to be downloaded but also used, they definitely have to improve it and make a less limited free player.

I'm personally quite negative about Windows people's interest in the iTunes Music Store. Not that they won't like the technology, but they tend to want their music for free...

Originally posted by ksv
Who said iTunes will be ported to Windows? ;)

from: http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/07/20030716180641.shtml

- PowerMac G5 shipping still expected to begin in August.
- Windows iTunes still on track for release by end-of-year

from: http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/07/16/q3live/

Expects iTunes on Windows to be "trojan horse" when it comes to selling iPod to Windows users. Apple hopes that they will then consider buying a Mac when shopping for new computers.

Sure fryke, but it doesn't mean they won't use iTunes for listening their music. And anyway among those PC users, there will certainly be some of them that will want to buy music, and as PC market is big, even this little portion of people who will want to be legal, will represent more revenues than current Mac iTMS users.

If they want to expand adoption of Quicktime in the Windows space, why not build a decent Quicktime Player/associated technologies?

{rant}I have no experience with Quicktime servers or production, or details of the Quicktime format(s), but Quicktime Player for Windows just stinks. From a usability and features standpoint, it's the same player I had installed in 1998. Except now I have annoying adware pop up every time I start it.

I know, I know, there's support for "Instant-On" and some new codecs, but otherwise I don't see any innovation happening, or reason to use it versus other formats/players. Still no full-screen mode? Come on, guys...

I don't want a feature bloat like Real Player for Win or Win Media Player 9, but there's just NOTHING about it that appeals to me. Even stripped-down Media Player 6 loads fast...{/rant}

Just because I know people will say "if it stinks so bad on Windows, then stop using it on Windows", but the situation on the Mac isn't any better... It just happens to be a smidge better than the lacking WMP and Real Player ports...

Erhm... Just buy QuickTime Pro. There's your fullscreen mode. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Everything should be free. :p

Back