Streaming Server

macmastah

Registered
Hi,

I'm working on a project involving large video files (100 mb or so) and I need to make these available on the web somehow. They will be available only over a closed network (a school), and I'm thinking of either embedding them in a web page, or using Quicktime Streaming server. If the internet connection is fast (which it is in this situation) would either solution work fine? Or would one load faster than the other?

Thanks for the help

You can really go either way. Obviously, the streaming server is well tuned for multiple connections and for dispensing multimedia content. If these are all playing over the internal LAN, you should have ample bandwidth to support your need, depending on your network layout, speeds, setup, etc.

Do you already own the Mac OS X Server that will dispense this data for you?

Michael

Thanks for your response.

The school I'm working with already has Mac OS Tiger Server installed on an Xserve, so thats the setup I think I'll use. And I'll try both (streaming and embedding), the only issue is the speed with which these videos stream. But your advice seems to be in line with my thinking.

One other idea you may want to look at is Podcasting. We all know students have iPods, they could also have the content in that format as well. :)

I think you'll find the QTSS to be very robust, easy to use and will meet your needs. I ran one for a few years on 10.1 Server with very good results in an educational environment (though none of the content on it was actually educational!). Even in the older builds with older hardware and non-optimized links, the server performed very well.

Good luck and make sure to post in your results! :)

Michael

Back