Study says 100 million PCs to be replaced in 2004

Gartner analysts said more than 30 percent of installed PCs are now at least three years old. Many of those machines run older versions of Windows operating systems, for which full technical support may not be available. This, they said, will play a major role in pushing sales of replacements.

Sad. In the Windows world having a computer 3 years old is seen a problem.

In the Mac World - it is great it you have the newest. But if you have a Mac running 8.6, and you can do everything that you want with it, there isn't a problem. :)

Well, I have an older Pentium II 400 and a Dell Pentium III 600 that I doubt I'll ever five up. They suit me just fine, and with the right video card they will play my favorite games. Mind you, none of them compare to my Quadra in age and usability. I'm currently running 8.1 on that and serving pages with MacHTTP just fine. :D

Heck, I even have an old AMD 5x86 PR-133 PC, and it's very happy running Linux at the moment. All it needs is a 256k cache module (or 512k if it exists) to give it that extra bump in speed. :p

I know my brother in law really needs to update his PC! I wouldn't hazard a guess at the age of the thing.It barely runs Win'98, but then I suppose that's normal for any PC. :D

This is why the news will report that Apple's marketshare has dropped again. The shorter lifespan of Windows machines means they need to be replaced more. And marketshare numbers represent machines sold, not machines in use.

Chris

nixgeek said:
Mind you, none of them compare to my Quadra in age and usability. I'm currently running 8.1 on that and serving pages with MacHTTP just fine. :D

"nixgeek" and not running NetBSD on the Quadra? There is a 68k port :D

Basically, Apple needs to focus some marketing dollars in on making people who are disposing of their old machines. They need to not use some hokie 'Think Different' or 'Switcher' campaign. They need to focus in on why people need to switch, by demonstrating why OS X is better than windoze, etc.

My "main" PC is a Pentium MMX@200MHz 128 MiB ... and Windows 2000 installed ...

Now I'm going to use "mainly" a Celeron (Coppermine)@800 MHz 768 MiB ... and RedHat 7.3+/8.0-

Next I will "build" a dual Pentium MMX@166MHz (Solaris 9) and a Pentium III@500MHz(who knows???)

I have ONLY older systems (many to install) ... probably next one to run will be the PPC 603 (Macintosh 6200 ????).

I'm happy with this!!!

Easter is right .. sometimes happiness is being happy with what you have, and not wanting what you don't have yet.

And not every part of this world can afford to get a new computer every 2 years. I hope that the older systems will always have a good use for them. Maybe if you have no use for a system, a child can .. and will learn very fast to use it (some of the most tech savvy persons I know have got their first computer when they were 2 years old). Or a grandma who will need it only for browsing and email. Or people in poorer countries where they have no computers.

Back