Stuffit Exp + privileges weirdness

Crunchy in milk

Journey Agent
I set up a user with admin level access and logged in under that user, tried to run classic and was told I did not have sufficient privileges to run the application from the system folder.

I logged into root account and set up admin privileges on the hard drive, then clicked the copy button to apply the privileges to all contained folders.

Logged in with the new user once again and ran classic fine this time. Copied files around and generally got everything squared away, files where they should be.

Closed classic.

Then I double clicked a stuffit archive situated in the downloads folder for this new user. An error message comes up saying my preferred destination folder (set up in stuffit options as the same the file is in) is currently write protected!

???

I just copied to that folder just fine.
I open up the info viewer window, check the privileges. It says the [ user name ] has read write access to it, so does admin group.

I click the ok button on the error dialogue from stuffit, and it brings up it's default destination window to unpack the file. I click ok again and it un-stuffs to the folder. The exact folder it just complained is write protected.

This effects every single sit I have now, and no matter the directory its in (thanks to pressing that copy button on the drive privileges) I've tried it in a few copies of stuffit expander 6 and 6.01 I've got installed throughout the machine now. All the same result.

Nothing earth shattering just confusing (for my small mind maybe), and to put it bluntly @#$^ing annoying

My privileges nightmare continues :eek:)

The more you screw with privileges beyond ghr default without knowing what apps need what privileges the more you screw yerself.

I think Classic uses the 'macos' group, but I think all that's important is those things Classic uses can be changed by whomever launched Classic.

Try sudo chown -R yourusername /Volumes/VolumebootingClassic/

then sudo chown -R yourusername ~/

Then make sure /Library and everything inside is readable by all

Originally posted by strobe
The more you screw with privileges beyond ghr default without knowing what apps need what privileges the more you screw yerself.

I think Classic uses the 'macos' group, but I think all that's important is those things Classic uses can be changed by whomever launched Classic.

Try sudo chown -R yourusername /Volumes/VolumebootingClassic/

then sudo chown -R yourusername ~/

Then make sure /Library and everything inside is readable by all

It was a chown issue, pressing the 'copy' button on the privileges under root account did a recursive chown to all folders changing everything to being owned by 'system' and letting admin accounts read/write. This did allow the user to run classic, which was dandy but had the side effect as posted above with stuffit. Returning ownership of the user's account folder (via chown) seemed to fix stuffit's access to the folders just fine (and subfolders since I did use the recursive option).

Some good resources for people new to linux/terminal commands (well it helped me) are http://www.hansenmedia.com/unix_lx.htm and http://man-pages.net/linux/alpha-index.html

Nothing far and above the simple 'man' command in terminal but easier to read and make sense of. Its certainly nice to get a little understanding of whats goes on behind all the pretty buttons. In this case I had to learn after pressing it :p

Back