Stupid DVD got stuck in my Powerbook ! Help!

Ghostwriter

Registered
Right, I've tried everything except going to the technicians that want money. I still would like to avoid that so if anyone have any clues, I would be oh so grateful!

1. There is a DVD that refuses to get out of my Powerbook Gigabit Ethernet ('Back to the Future'. Rental. Not important, just the hint of irony...)

2. I have tried to press eject/F12.

3. I have put it to sleep, restarted it, also restarted it with OS9 as start up disk, and back again to OSX.

4. Some hair came away in my hand when I accessed Firmware, which said 'ok' to eject, but didn't deliver.

5. The PRAM has been re-set; all that did was to change today to tomorrow, so I just set it back to today.

6. I also did the thing where you turn of the computer by holding down the power button.

7. The CD/DVD rom and driver info appears on the system profiler, and seems to be ok.

8. And the final bit of info I can come up with is that the DVD doesn't show on the desktop.

Please help! I have no clue as what to do from here! The weird video shop guy is going to charge me extra soon, and that editing job I have on the go is in danger of going past the deadline! I can't seem to stop using exclamation marks!

Anyway, thanks on beforehand for helpful top tips.
Have a rapid day!
g

restart your computer and as soon as it bongs hold down the trackpad click button until it spits your disc out.

In addition to nic's suggestion, you can add a mouse - and press and keep pressed, the mouse button (left button, if a multiple button mouse) during the boot up process.

This may not work but it worked for me with a mini CD which I foolishly inserted into a 12" Powerbook:

Try turning your powerbook upside down and press the eject button. Worth a try.

JB

The mouse button should work. If not, try pushing the dvd back in, that is to make sure it's seated.

Last resort is the trusty paperclip, but there is no warrantee included in this advice. Put a very small hook at one end (about an eighth inch or a couple of mm) and a larger at the other end, at right angles to the tiny one. Slide the clip in with the hook parallel to the disk. Once it is in the area of the center hole, turn the clip 90 degrees so the hook goes down. Gently tug on the disk to pull it out.

Thanks for the replies!
I have tried that "hold the mouse button down" a few times; didn't do the trick. Also I have an inkling that the problem is a bit more mechanical than anything solved by a re-start game of any sort. I saw another tip somewhere, about inserting another CD/DVD halfway in, as the DVD doesn't mount on the desktop. Didn't work either. But curiously, the stuck DVD seems to be wonky... The extra CD wouldn't shift to the right of the slot at all. I'll try the upside-down thing (thanks for that tip! That's a good idea :)) and keep you posted!

Back