Stupid question - How do I "cut" files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonKemerer

Registered
Hiya:

Stupid question, but how do I "cut" not "copy" files in Tiger / Finder? I've owned my Mac going on a year now, and have yet to see "cut" light up, it's always greyed out. Sounds pretty simple, am I missing something here? Command+X ain't working either.

Sorry if this is a stupid / obvious question, it's just this has been bugging me for well... a year :p

Thanks,

The Apple menu "Cut" command is used with text editing,
select some text and the "Cut" command will be active.

jb

Not a stupid question at all. You actually CAN'T "cut" files on the Mac, plain and simple. In fact, there's no way to move files in the Finder using the keyboard at all. You HAVE to drag and drop. Kind of a bummer.

See http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264876 for a previous (somewhat lengthy) discussion which includes some tips on making drag-n-drop more efficient.

The reason behind not being able to 'cut' files is one might 'cut' a file, forget to paste it and 'cut' another file...subsquently the first file 'cut' would be over written by the first and lost forever.

but, on windows, and other OS's with the cut comand, the cut command is just cancelled if something overrides it like another copy command

Lt Major Burns said:
but, on windows, and other OS's with the cut comand, the cut command is just cancelled if something overrides it like another copy command

Exactly! And i was about to say the same myself.
I'm a new Mac OS X user and a veteran Windows user. In fact, i would have eventually posted the "Cut" Files/Folder question myself if i hadn't seen this post.

I'm gonna go check that "lengthy" thread they are talking about.

Ave,
Mickey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back