Subtility of TerminalOpaqueness

R1ck5P

Registered
Hi,

The 'defaults write com.apple.terminal TerminalOpaqueness' command is pretty cool to get the terminal window transparent. But when we set the variable to, for exemple, '0.45', the window is transparent but the text too. How can we get this text to be 100% opaque while the window is at 20 or 30 %. You know the give the illusion that the text is not in a window and flotting in the air (just like in Linux).

Thanks

Either we pester Apple until they add that ability to the terminal, or we wait for som developer to make an alternative terminal. Either way, it envolves waiting.

I agree, a translucent terminal is of limited coolness when the letters are always the same translucency as the background. Maybe with OS X final, there will be a more eterm-like transparency feature.

Incidentally, I like Apple's terminal transparency better, on balance, then eterm's etc., because Apple's always shows what is behind it, whereas most transparent XWindows terminals always show the desktop background.

There is a simple hack to fix Eterm so it shows what is behind the window, not just the desktop. I saw it a while back agao, but as I recall, it not only required hacking the Eterm source and building your own, but Enlightenment's source as well. I'm sure that if we had the source to Apple's term.app we could fix this our selves.

-me

I played with the opacity quite a bit and while it is somewhat dissapointing that the text becomes transparent as well as the background, I finally stuck with 93% for the setting. Seems to show just enough of the background without detracting too much from the text. What settings are you guys using?

Incidentally, is there a way to use an image for the background instead of just plain white (or transparency)?

-

Originally posted by WinterEC
I played with the opacity quite a bit and while it is somewhat dissapointing that the text becomes transparent as well as the background, I finally stuck with 93% for the setting. Seems to show just enough of the background without detracting too much from the text. What settings are you guys using?

I use a black background and an amber foreground, with transparency set to 85 percent. It gives the visual
impression of computing on a dark smoked glass table , which I personally happen to find quite aesthetically pleasing particularly when using a highly saturated background pic...

Originally posted by marmoset
I use a black background and an amber foreground, with transparency set to 85 percent. It gives the visual
impression of computing on a dark smoked glass table , which I personally happen to find quite aesthetically pleasing particularly when using a highly saturated background pic...

What string(s) did you use to set this? Where do I find the preferences to set the background color and text color? I'm a unix newbie to some extent although I used linux for 4-5 months as a secondary PC system 2 years ago. Needless to say, I don't have a lot of experience in finding out this stuff.

Thanks,
-Winter

The colours, fonts, etc. are all in Terminal.app's preferences.

I use a black background, pale blue foreground, and 80% opaque terminal.

I have a dark blue desktop background, and when I get around to it, I will put back in place the theme I was using that down the white bits of the Aqua colour scheme - it took them all down to a pale bluish grey.

You'll never guess my favourite colour, not in a million years!

You know, it shouldn`t be too hard to make a Terminal with all the cool features you guys are talking about, if I`m not mistaken... I guess you could write just a Telnet client in the worst case.... Someone should make that and have it support skins and cool opaqueness and stuff :)

[Edited by parallax on 01-20-2001 at 05:07 PM]

Back