Sudden DSL connection problem - network card?

goldenmeg

Registered
I have been using a DSL connection with a home-network for over a month. All of a sudden I am having problems connecting with my PowerBook G4. The network still works for my Desktop G4 - when I start my computer I am automatically connected. Both computers are connected by ethernet cable (not wireless). Both computers are running on Panther.\

Up until a couple of days ago, my PowerBook also connected automatically through the network on startup. Now, for my Powerbook, I can not connect if it is connected to the home network box (Lynksys). If I connect the powerbook directly to the modem (ZyXEL), I can not connect automatically, but must physically connect through Internet Connect through PPPoE.

After extensive phone calls to customer support, one person suggested that my Network Card is failing. Is this the problem? Or could it be something else?

Thanks,
Meg

Just to head something off. Its probably not your network card. I would definately try switching the network cables first. They can get worn and stop working if they are moved around alot.

After that I would look to see if I had an IP address (This allows the computers/router/network to be on the same page of sorts).
System Preferences --> Network --> "Built-in Ethernet"

If there is not a valid IP (192.168.x.x) the problem is inbetween your laptop and the router (the linksys).

Hope this gives you a start. Most ISPs don't really help you if you have a mac so it can be frustrating (and they always say "its the mac's fault" which so far has never been the actual problem). I have found that most internet problems usually revolve around either the Cables or a linksys router going down or acting up.

I checked the cables by hooking my laptop to the cable I use for my desktop. This did not help.

Indeed, the IP is not of the form you mention (it was some bizzare set of numbers). If the problem is between my laptop and the router, what do I do next? Why would the linksys work with my desktop and not my laptop? Is it a set up problem with my laptop (I've tried the "assist me" option in the Network Location setup and my ISP tech support walked me through numerous trys at setup).

Thanks,
Meg

Have you restarted the router? (unplugged it, not reset).

DHCP in the network settings will not always "refresh" so you can try to force refresh it by switching to manual, pressing Apply Now then switching back to DHCP (Apply Now). If that doesnt work go the next step.

Try this:
Set the IP settings to manual. (Instead of DHCP)
IP: 192.168.1.105 (this shouldnt be taken up on your
Subnet:255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.1.1

then open up Safari and type the router number in the address bar (192.168.1.1). If it asks for a username password; the password is admin (all lowercase) and you can leave the username blank.

This whole step sets your laptop on the same page as the router to the point where they should be able to connect even if not every thing is correct.

Thank you!!!!!!!!! This worked!

Yes, I had tried unplugging the router. I tried your next suggestion of switching to manual, clicking apply and switching back and apply - and this worked!

Thanks so much!!!!

Back