Sudden Panther Problems

gwynarion

I stole the Sun
Some time today I started having problems with my computer (Mac OS X 10.3.2). This is effecting a number of different applications including Mail, Xjournal, Safari and TextEdit. For example, I had started typing this entry in TextEdit but was forced to switch to BBEdit after TextEdit froze. Before it froze every space and every punctuation mark was doubled, and it was trying to delete some of these extra punctuation marks which froze the program. I was typing this entry in a text editor because of how badly things were going wrong in Xjournal. Every time I hit a space bar in there I got this error popping up:

xjournal_space_error.jpg

The same error I described for TextEdit was happening while typing in form fields in Safari. In Mail the problem has been different. There I am unable to reply to any message. When I click on the reply button or choose it from the menu it looks like it is going to work but then nothing happens. So then I quit the program and start it again. In my drafts folder I find the reply messages that I had tried to open, but they are blank and I cannot open them either.

Trying to fix the problem I started up from the Panther install CD and verified/repaired permissions and verified/repaired the disk. Neither one of these proccesses found any problems or cleared up the problems I am having. I'm hoping that someone here can suggest what might be the problem and how to fix it, short of completely reinstalling my system. Thank you.

Try changing the name of your preferences to *.old and restart and try again. This may solve some probs...

Setup a new user, log in and try. If the problem is not there, then your Preferences are probably corrupt.

Back