suddenly cannot connect to internet, while file sharing is ok.

serene30

Registered
This problem just occur today while all the setting has been working fine so far.

I am using static IP, connecting to my office LAN. I have different network profile, named according to the location, and this one is for my office, with the setting like subnet mask, default gateway verified by the admin already.

The problem now is that I cannot connect to internet with any program like Safari, firefox, entrourage, iweb etc. At the same time my ethernet shown connected, and I am able to connect to this computer from other pc in the LAN for file sharing.

Called to apple care, they told me to reset safari, remove the safari plist and restart. problem remain the same.

I used apple assit me and diagnotic tools both not able to get any results.

believed to be setting problem, thus I check so many times on the advance tab on the ethernet:
ipv4 : static ip
ipv6 : automoatic
DNS: as given by admin 192.168.10.1 and 192.168.10.2
WINS : is this important ? I tried with something and nothing, but make no different.
802.1X: nothing
proxies: no proxy
Ethernet : configure : automatically.

Can anyone please help ?
I have also tried swap the network cable and network point, where another Pc is working fine with, but no luck.

What can I do... seems so unreasonable....Please help....

Thank you.
Serene

Based on the information that you posted, I suspect a problem in your local area network. Apple can't help you. Prehaps, your network administrator or one of his assistants can. I suggest that you call him.

You should verify your DNS and IP with your admin. What errors do you get from software?

Try opening terminal and type:
ping www.google.com

Paste what that says.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I have another desktop in the same work place, when I plug the cable which have been working fine with the desktop to this MBP, it still won't work.

I too have verified again the ip and DNS, and tried using the IP of the desktop, it still not working.

But if the ip that I attempt has been used, it will prompt ip conflict immediaty, showing that it actually have connected to network.

btw, it works fine with airport.....

Ping from terminal: ping to other ip, responded. ping to the ip where the DNS is, timeout. ping to google, timeout.....

Suggested by gsahli - Jul 19, 2010 - 6:25 am Please try this:
Turn off IPv6 (not automatic).
For IPv4, try Configure using DHCP with manual IP (basically means static IP, but the DHCP server will be informed of your presence). You can also try adding one more DNS server - try 208.67.222.222.

I did this:
Turn off IPv6 - still the same....
With IPv6 auto - try DHCP with manual IP - still the same.
With IPv6 off - DHCP with manual IP - still the same.
restore the original ....

Results:
huray... it is working !
amazing .... is that because like you said the DHCP server has been informed of it presence ?
However, I have not tried another DNS 208.67.222.222. I will save this should problem come back again.

I am happy now :)
Thank you very much, Thank you.

Sounds like the DNS server for the network isn't working very well and thus you add another DNS server and it pops back into working order.

Back