Sugestion for DVD on a B&W?

Rhino_G3

Registered
Ok, I know this has been talked about before but has anybody found a software DVD decoder for OS X. I found a GNU DVD player but I've only been able to compile it for bare disks, ones that are not encoded.

Anybody know where you can find a crack for the original apple player? I saw a cracked version on carracho but it just dies everytime I start it up.

Yea, that's what I'm using right now. :) It's decent, but it's not the apple DVD player.

I REALLY need that crack. Or a full featured DVD player. Even if I do have to pay for it.

Thanks for the reply!

silly rabbit :p
you cant MOD (easily) a PS2 to play region locked DVDs ;)
Besides if we wanted to play DVDs elsewhere we would just get a DVD player lol

That was my solution. The Samsung DVD-V1000 is quite nice...and it means I don't have to wait for Apple to come out with a DVD player that I can run.

but I cant watch my german, greek, and other euro DVDs on a commercial region 1 player :p

&^*&(* you MPIAA :p

Admiral

True, didn't think of that. The only foreign film I have was still made in the US, so it never has come up as a problem for me. I'm sure it's a pain in the A, though.

You talk about a crack for the Apple Player... what is it supposed to fix? And... what's the name of the file? I'd like to try it out!

Thanks

X.1 ships with a really good DVD player, but so far I have seen no cracks.

There is a change to the driver extension for OS9 that allows you to use OS9 as an all region player

Check out luxifers site on this subject - just search for luxifer on google to find it!

As far as I know a simple crack *is not* going to solve the problem.
The DVD player shipping with OS X is designed to do software decoding and I do not know if our machines support that. Our machines have always done hardware decoding that that is why we were stuck with version 1.3 of the DVD player in OS 9 while apple made versions 2.x for owners of newer macs.

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
As far as I know a simple crack *is not* going to solve the problem.
The DVD player shipping with OS X is designed to do software decoding and I do not know if our machines support that. Our machines have always done hardware decoding that that is why we were stuck with version 1.3 of the DVD player in OS 9 while apple made versions 2.x for owners of newer macs.

There's a crack out for the OS 9 version of DVD player. I'm running version 2.7 on my computer right now under 9. As long as you have the Rage 128 or Radeon in a B&W with a DVD player it'll work. The frameworks for DVD decoding are installed on the G3's... it just doesn't install the player.

EDIT- My computer originally came with a CD ROM drive. I added an aftermarket Toshiba drive (the same drive that's installed on the G3 and 4's. It'll show up as a Matsushita under Apple Sys Profiler.)

Interesting,
I upgraded the firware for my B&W G3 DVD and made it region free. Now I can view any DVD.

The problem is with OS X

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
Interesting,
I upgraded the firware for my B&W G3 DVD and made it region free. Now I can view any DVD.

The problem is with OS X

Which problem? I'm confused Playing DVD's from different regions or playing the DVD's at all?

Are you saying that even if there was a crack for DVD player 3.0 our boxes wouldn't be able to play the dvd's because of supporting framework issues?

lol ok ok :p
This is what *I* am saying

In OS9 --> DVD player version 1.3 works well for me, I've upgraded my DVD firmware to be able to play ANY REGION DVD ;)
I cannot install 2.7 (well without the crack you mentioned) but I do not need it;)

In OS X --> I cannot play ANY DVDs because there is no DVD played installed in OS X.

Admiral

Ok, I finally got hold of X.1. Did a lean install, it took me 15 mins or so, a breeze!

Maybe I had missed something:
the DVD player is not even installed! Am I right?

If there is a crack for the OS9 version of the player (sw decoding), it should be possible to do the same with the X version, I guess...
But then again I need to install the player first!

This is getting complicated....

I think by the time teh crack comes out apple will make a version for us...if not some talented hacker will make a crack ;)

Rhino,
could you tell me how to get the crack for DVD 2.7?
I'm curious to try it out!

Back