Suitcase and OS X font conflicts

carlqangel

Registered
My specs:

Powerbook G4
1.25 ghz single processor
OS 10.4.2

I've been trying to import a font family (Adobe Jenson Pro) into Suitcase X, but I get a message that says some of the fonts within that family conflict with the fonts in the system folder, and that I should remove some of the fonts from the system folder in order to be able to import the rest of the fonts.

However, it doesn't say which fonts to remove, and after removing a few of them (via rebooting in OS 9), it caused havoc when I restarted in OS X. How do I resolve this and how do I know which fonts to remove?

Thanks,

Carl

carlqangel said:
My specs:

Powerbook G4
1.25 ghz single processor
OS 10.4.2

I've been trying to import a font family (Adobe Jenson Pro) into Suitcase X, but I get a message that says some of the fonts within that family conflict with the fonts in the system folder, and that I should remove some of the fonts from the system folder in order to be able to import the rest of the fonts.

However, it doesn't say which fonts to remove, and after removing a few of them (via rebooting in OS 9), it caused havoc when I restarted in OS X. How do I resolve this and how do I know which fonts to remove?

Thanks,

Carl

It's possible that the font suitcase file that contains the Jensen Pro family might have some bitmap (screen) fonts from something already loaded in the system in it. In pre-OS X days it was easy to double-click the suitcase file to inspect the contents but OS X has no facility to do so. You'll need to download the ancient (System 6.0.8) Font/DA mover and run it in Classic so that you can remove conflicting fonts from the suitcase file. You can get it here:

http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html
Font_DA_Mover_4.1.sea.bin is the file

Good luck!

Thanks, sourcehound,

I'll give it a try. Does the fact that the Adobe Jenson font happens to be opentype have anything to do with it as well?

Carl

Back