Sun Microsystems Java Runtime Environment (JRE)

suntannedboy

Registered
Hi, recently I have installed Sun Microsystems Java Runtime Environment (JRE) for my Mac (Leopard). Though it shows successful installation, my java applet simply will not work under Firefox and Safari. I have checked out the browsers' preference setup and the java boxes are checked. I just cannot figure out why the java applet will not work; I've heard Leopard has this downfall. Anyway I can fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.

As far as I know, Sun's Java on the Mac is controlled by Apple and is added through Software Update when there is an update available. Was this how you installed it, or was it through some other means?

Yes, that's how I did it. The Sun provides a link to the Apple's web page but after teh installation somehow I still could not see the java applet under Firefox and Safari browser.

Strange. Have you tried repairing permissions on your hard drive? Launch Disk Utility and run a "Repair Permissions". Once to fix it, and a second time to check if it missed anything.

Mac Firefox has a Java plugin inside it, so it should not need any other Java. Mac OS has a Java component, so you should not need to install any other Java.

Back