super drive not reading discs

ffe

Registered
Why dont you post the explanation for certain MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857 superdrives not being able to read: dvds/ cds/ blank dvds/ blank cds/ burned dvds/ burned cds or a combination thereof?

Apple's firmware 2.1 update released late june 2007 unwittingly fried many superdrives functionality and apple pulled the firmware update as soon as the buzz on the internet took hold, but not before many drives were randomly zapped.

Unfortunately it seems that apple doesnt publicly admit any problems on their website, in the hope that users will not notice the loss of functionality (my drive cant recognise blank/burned media, but published (pressed) dvds and cds are recognised, hence one doenst notice there is a problem at first).

Presumably the object of this website is to propagate information, but unfortunately all your support responses to queries regarding this issue end with, 'take it to apple and get them to do something', without addressing the reason for the problem: faulty code from apple.

Although there are some 'voodoo' solutions -e.g. regarding changing os x's language to non-english, which worked momentarily for myself before the drive returning to non-functionality -if the consumer is pre-armed with the information that apple is at fault, one has a much better chance of success at getting the drive replaced (which is the only certain solution).

Delighted at your candid comments. Now I know what is the source of this problem that I am facing with my two MacBook Pros. I will ask Apple to change the drive on my MacBooks.

Vijay Pande

Presumably the object of this website is to propagate information, but unfortunately all your support responses to queries regarding this issue end with, 'take it to apple and get them to do something', without addressing the reason for the problem: faulty code from apple.

Enlighten us then. Where's the faulty code?

Back