Superdrive In a G3 Tower

rogerworrod

Registered
I've souped up my G3 Tower with a Prologix 900 processor (running at 867, OS9.2.2 profiler tells me that my speed is now 200Mhz) and I have Panther 10.3.9 installed on a bootable 58GB partition of my Neptune 160GB FireWire drive. My G3 itself has 3 partitions: 10.3.9 (rarely used, as it is only 3.41GB); storage for Panther - 7.81GB; and OS9.2.2 on a 27GB partition. The original CD reader and subsequent DVD-ROM reader were both removed - the DVD-ROM/CD-R is now in an external aluminium box on Firewire. These I have replaced with a Pioneer DVD-109 Superdrive which is "seen" by the System Profilers after downloading Patchburn 3.
The drive opens and closes, but neither CDs nor DVDs show up on the desktop... which feels like a software rather than a hardware problem.
I've found the FlashKit 2.0, but that requires firmware to be transferred to its local folder before flashing, with dire warnings if the incorrect files are flashed.
I've searched for info about possible solutions, but, apart from a French site that suggests I need a steam-driven PC to solve the problem, I haven't had much luck.
I'd hoped to install a copy of iLife 4, but the DVD "cannot be installed on this computer" because one of the iLife members is 'open' (NOT TRUE)... and when I try the CD, I get a message saying that I have a SuperDrive and should install from the DVD.
Any suggestions will be gratefully received.
sincerely
Roger

I'd hoped to install a copy of iLife 4, but the DVD "cannot be installed on this computer" because one of the iLife members is 'open' (NOT TRUE)

Check the Activity Monitor for 'iTuneshelper'. If it's running, quit and try installing.

bobw said:
Check the Activity Monitor for 'iTuneshelper'. If it's running, quit and try installing.

Thanks from rogerworrod to bobw.

Bob, thanks so much; I'd never have gone into Activity Monitor without your suggestion. I now have iLife 4 happily installed on my startup disk.

Which reminds me, this might be helpful for other LowEnd users:
-I installed Panther on my G3 on a 3.41 GB 1st partition with the aid of XPostFacto (under the 'under 7GB' rule). But I was able to make bootable Retrospect BackUps on 2 x 58GB partitions on my 160GB Neptune drive.

Bob, after the success with iLife, I crossed my fingers hoping something might have nudged a response from my 109 SuperDrive, but no luck, I'm afraid. My Panther system profile reads:

ATA Bus:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-109:

Manufacturer: PIONEER
Model: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-109
Revision: 1.40
Drive Type: CD-RW/DVD-RW
Disc Burning: Vendor Supported
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: No
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal