Superdrive Spits Out Burned Dvds

tolypso

Registered
My G5 is spitting out burned DVD-R discs instead of reading them. No error messages or anything pop up. They can be discs I burned, or discs from another machine. The DVDs read fine on several other machines. I put them in and after about 15 seconds, they reject. I've heard that others have had the same problem but haven't found a solution.
The machine is a dual 1.8 G5 with a PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D firmware version A606. OS X 10.3.9 is updated with everything Software Updates found.
Please help!

'... The DVDs read fine on several other machines. I put them in and after about 15 seconds, they reject ...', I have seen similar with the same model Pioneer drive (Revision: 1.05), on a G4 PowerPC PowerMac.

Try inserting a cleaning disc or spraying a can of compressed air, into the DVD's slot.

If no success, consider ... removing the drive, disassemble it, and try using compressed air - in the area of the read / write heads. Reassemble the drive (or temporarily, at least with the protective laser shield), reconnect, and try it. This worked for me.

[
04 October 2005, 00.21

Spelling corrections made:

'right' to 'write', and 'Reasemble' to 'Reassemble'
]

Back