Supporting Safari?

Will you make your sites Safari compatible?

• I'll Support it FULLY!

• I'll do my best, but not stress too much about it...

• I'll look at it in Safari to make sure nothing is functionally broken

• Pffffftt... I ain't look'n at no more browsers!

Results are only viewable after voting.

TommyWillB

Registered
As Web developers we need to do a LOT to support all of these WinDoze and Mac browsers.

...so with Safari we have one more. Will you bother making your site compatible?

Will you bother making your site compatible?

I only bother to make mine compliant to W3C's guidelines. Although, I must admit that the last time I modified my site, I left a bit of a mess. I'll check up on it sometime. It's rendered alright in the latest Mac versions of IE, Chimera, and Safari, though. I haven't checked it under other browsers, but my visitors have not complained...

I'll also support it up to the point of standards. So far I've found some fairly serious problems -- to be expected for a beta product and all of which I have reported.

bear

NO.

i'm not making anything specifically safari compatible.

[rant] pure html rules, learn to use your freakin' editor... pure html like BBedit or emacs runs everywhere. forget the crappy scripts that kill the browsers.

i sure want all my sites to be chimera compatible. and surfable *also* in icab. when i have to i test them in internet exploiter... but the fact of using chimera as my main browser makes practically all the sites already working in safari. if it's ok in chimera it PROBABLY is working as well in safari.

my .org site's forum is 85 % working in safari. that's not MY fault but thx to it's visualisation errors. often the reply buttons are missing, half of smiles and icons etc, and it doesnt load always... also, the headers are ALWAYS seen wrong = missing completelly the header banner and links.... i'm going to do NOTHING except click on the bug button and click again on the bug button. be W4 and that's it. it's not my fault that in attempt to be a "fast" browser in a .php page it skips 15- 25 % of the information it should read. [/rant]

The majority of my web site already works with it. It also looks the way it should...

The only thing I've currently noticed is that if I include a specific animated gif twice in the same document, one or the other will end up not being animated.

I tend to find the first instance of the image is most commonly the one that displays as a static image... I've already submitted a bug report to apple about it...

I going to support it. And the company I work for is going to support it, even though we won't officially support it. It wasn't too long ago that Chimera was looking for the support from the mac community, and we struggled to give it a chance, since we were all set in our ways then too. Now our friends at Apple built us a nice browser that is still in BETA!!! so I plan on providing as much support to it as I do the other browsers on my machines. The fact is if you want to develop for a professional website you should test for all browser conditions. And any good developer will consider them all. How much the developer decides to support each browser is up to him/her.

The fact is if you want to develop for a professional website you should test for all browser conditions. And any good developer will consider them all.
..."all"?

That would end up being 100's of browser variations on a multitude of computer plaforms.

Who the heck can really do that?

Originally posted by Giaguara
NO.

i'm not making anything specifically safari compatible.

[rant] pure html rules...

my .org site's forum is 85 % working in safari. that's not MY fault but thx to it's visualisation errors... [/rant]
YES!!!!!!

That's exactly waht I'm talking about. Pure standards compliance is NOT the answer becase these browsers are not.

"Visualization" is the exact point... and the root of the problem...

i've made my sites Safari compatible. was nothing, really...

only thing i had to do was pretty much target all links. links within an iframe that would open in the same iframe have to be targeted to that iframe, otherwise they'll open in new windows. annoying, but easy to fix.

Well, maybe now I'll pay attention to favicon.ico. Did Chimera support it? Did any other Mac browser support it before Safari?

Originally posted by MDLarson
Well, maybe now I'll pay attention to favicon.ico. Did Chimera support it? Did any other Mac browser support it before Safari?
Yeah... Netscape has since 6.x, but it puts the icon in the address bar...

Back