Surely there must be some software (Password...Folders)

Phreak

Registered
Hey ,

I've been searching for the last two days for this software and I am getting really frustrated now.

I need a piece of software that will password protect a normal folder. I don't want to hide it or make it invisible. I don't want to make an encypted copy of it. I don't want to have it hidden away somewhere on my system. I don't want to be able to open the folder but everything is read-only.

I just want the folder on the desktop as normal , with all my stuff in but when I double click to open it - it will ask me for a password. If I enter it correctly it will open it and I can access my files as normal and if I enter the password incorrectly it wont open etc...

I saw an Applescript program thingy for this somewhere but it doesnt seem to work on Tiger.

Please! There has to be somewhere/someone who knows of a piece of software that can help me acheive this!!

I would be so grateful...
My email is beautifulfreak(at)hotmail.co.UK

I haven't found an application that will let you lock a folder in such a way as to hide its content (although you can make it inaccessible). A work around would be to create an encrypted disk image in Disk Utility, place a folder on it, and then place an alias to that folder on the desktop. Then unmount the image when you want to "lock" the folder again.

I suppose you could use Access Control Lists to do this, and there is an application called "Sandbox" that lets you fiddle with ACL's in Tiger Client (on Server you can use Workgroup Manager). You can find Sandbox here:
http://www.mikey-san.net/sandbox/

I think protected disk images work quite well for this, although I guess you have to limit their size at creation time...

fryke said:
I think protected disk images work quite well for this, although I guess you have to limit their size at creation time...
Yeah, but not really. IIRC, if you create a sparse image of say, 10 GB, it'll not occupy 10 GB from the start. It'll only be as large as the documents on it, and grow until it reaches 10 GB.

Back