surfing security

elv1s

Registered
My Situation
I live in a block of 8 flats. We are served by a 11Mbps wireless network. I access the d-link transmitter with my airport card, as does everyone else. There is a router involved along the way but I'm not sure how it works. I was talking to my landlord the other day and he mentioned that he could see who was connected and some more information. I don't much like that, him being able to see my emails, the sites I visit, even my bank details?

I wondered if any of you know what he can see, with regard to my online activities and if there's anyway I can keep him from seeing. I've tried a java app called JAP but I can't get it to work. Am I heading in the right direction.

I'm not doing anything illegal via the web, I just don't want him to know about my business/life, whether I'm going on a medical website to self-diagnose some unspeakable condition or just to purchase a USB adaptor.

I did read in an earlier post about someone using someone elses wireless braodband and some of the stuff mentioned spooked me out.

in the great words of http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html 'Anonymity is not a crime'

thanks.
ed.

Hi, seems that your question related to 2 fields, router (LAN) and WLan security.
First of all, WLan using so called WEP encryption at the moment, is unsecure, any one who has a WLan device can get into your radiation area, monitoring packages sending around for several hours and get the key, then he can encrypt all messages, request you receive from and send to yourWLan router. This scenario has been approved. the only way to improve this is add Layer 2 security.
LAN Security against your landlord... I just briefly looked that JAP description, seems that this is a software quick solution for it. But anyway, if he's the adnubustrator of the Router, he can see who's ckecking which site any way by using proper software tools. So...
Hopefully this doesn't scare you too much.
Cheers

If you use one of the services at www.anonymizer.com, you can do all your surfing through SSL. That gives you added protection, and since all your surfing will go through anonymizers proxy, that is the only address your landlord will se you connecting to.

It'll cost you $30 for basic service, and $100 for super deluxe premium service...

Back