Survey: What DON'T you like about how OSX behaves?

cclear:

THANK YOU!

I did that. What was odd is that in international, it WAS set for a 12 hour clock. However, opening that and then closing it fixed the clock issue.

Now...WHY did apple hide that there?

Is it just me or is there no way to sort files by date modified when you open a file from the dialog box in any application.

In OS9 I could just select date and a folder with hundreds of items would be sorted by the last time I changed them.

the only way to do it is by using a finder window of that folder and dragging the files to the icon?

There must be a way to do this?

I have the same gripe, Pardus. Am I missing something? A finder preference somewhere? I can't belive Apple would simply drop this feature!!!

I love the idea of a tabbed Dock, that would be sweet! Maybe a seperate tab for open app windows instead of the right side of the dock??

I too long for multiple docks. I use Dock Switcher now, but I want to put one dock on the bottom and one on the right. I'd also like some way to add separators to organize the icons into groups. (But not for another $129!)

I HATE the stupid spinning, rainbow-colored pinwheel!!!! And it would be nice to have a larger dock although I prefer Apple's to the Windows variety. Personally, I think that Apple should use bigbadbill's avatar to replace the pinwheel , don't you?

Click the desktop to bring Finder to front should be and option.
Use to the speed decrease, i can always do something else in X
No Apple menu, Maxmenus costs too much, and it is the best at this time till i figure out/find time to script my own and make it donation ware.
X likes to hold memory too long, let it go!!!!!
Thats all i can think of surprisingly.

* YEA!!!! I HAD TO BUY X AGAIN, 2 times last year. April 10.1.3, then when Jag came out, that really pissed me off.

Stupid OS tricks.

1. Get rid of the dock. It's useless when trying to get work done. ("Scrubbing" to find an application is pure insanity--not to mention constantly navigating between a MENU BAR locked at the top of the screen and a DOCK at the bottom.)

3. Clock does not show internet (metric) time.

4. Cannot sort files in column view, only lists files alphabetically.

5. Opening a new finder window in column view, the window resizes itself off the bottom of the screeen.

6. OS is still too sluggish compared to XP.

7. The window close, resize, and hide buttons are still confusing, as they only dislplay what they are when you hover over them. Bad GUI design.

8. Threading is still not implemented properly, especially with internet applications.

9. No way to give CPU priority without using Terminal.

i cannot put a stress mark over vowels in my foreign languages using the chacter palette. Presently I have had to go into classic, type the vowel w/ the stress mark, save the document, open it up in OSX, and then cut and past the letter into my file (inDesign, for example). This is one area that should be simple, and yet I haven't found a solution in any forum....

MACLUV WROTE:

Stupid OS tricks.

1. Get rid of the dock. It's useless when trying to get work done. ("Scrubbing" to find an application is pure insanity--not to mention constantly navigating between a MENU BAR locked at the top of the screen and a DOCK at the bottom.)

------------I prefer the hidden dock option and use of Youpi Keys to launch apps by keyboard shortcut. The dock then just becomes a nice option only there when needed.

3. Clock does not show internet (metric) time.

---------------And who the hell cares? Seriously, who needs that? I'm curious.

4. Cannot sort files in column view, only lists files alphabetically.

----------Yeah, I'd like that too.

5. Opening a new finder window in column view, the window resizes itself off the bottom of the screeen.

----------------I could not duplicate this. Which window resizes itself, the new one or the old one?

6. OS is still too sluggish compared to XP.

----------------We know it. Apple knows. Everybnody knows it. They're working on it and will eventually get there. Oh what a joyous day it will be.

7. The window close, resize, and hide buttons are still confusing, as they only dislplay what they are when you hover over them. Bad GUI design.

---------------There are three total identifiers for their purpose. Color, location and icon (on rollover only). That is excellent GUI design IMHO. It takes about five seconds to learn their purpose.

8. Threading is still not implemented properly, especially with internet applications.

----------------Agreed.

9. No way to give CPU priority without using Terminal.

--------------I don't know what this means.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my little quirks remaining in OS X:

1. MAIL still does not send some (rare) attachments properly, forcing me to launch Entourage for PC recipients. I've heard all the excuses, and I don't give a crap. The bottom line is that Entourage can send it properly and MAIL can't, so guess what Apple, fix it.

2. Sometimes icons get screwed up momentarily, or go invisible. When you start making new custom icons for files/folders, all hell breaks loose until I reboot. This is better than before, but still problems exist.

3. Not necessarily Apple's fault, but long file names are still poorly supported across the board.

4. No Apple OS has done this properly, but I do like how Windows has a much better use of keyboard navigation in all apps/menus. Likewise, most Apple dialog windows do not support keyboard entry even when there are only two options to choose from (like yes or no). I want to type Y or N.

5. Many of the system icons are too literal. Like the wastebasket and hard drive icons. How ugly are those?! Just a small gripe. I prefer more graphical vs. literal design.

6. Using the help system when you are connected to the internet brings it to a screeching halt as it tries to find more recent help files.

7. I don't like some inconcsistencies in how some "apps" seem like apps, but actually aren't and therefore can't be Quit, but have to be closed. Like the Find function in the Finder can't be Quit, you have to close it. C'Mon!!!

8. Labels still not integrated (tho thanx for the Labels X shareware)

9. Hellacious font management and font integration decision making.

10. More file types should be convertable into on-the-fly thumbnails.

11. Again, not sure who to blame here, but terrible scanner support. I want to be able to plug in any USB or Firewire scanner (like how they handle digital cameras) and have it work. Right now there's like 2 models that work.

That's enough bitching for now. I recently installed VPC 6 With Windows XP and was reminded of why I love Macs so much. I'm sure XP flies on good hardware, but that OS is jam packed with inconsistencies, cartoonish design, subtle nuances of VERY poor design decision making, etc. Sorry, don't mean to start a war, just reminding myself that OS X, with its fairly minor remaining flwas, is still an amazing OS and will grow to be truly a masterpiece over the next five years.

1. It's still SLOW (but getting better update after update, 10.2.3 supprises me)
2. SMB hangs UI after loosing connection to mounted drive (for ex. if PC goes to sleep before unmounting it's share on Apple). It's nasty.

Dehuti

about SMB shares.... I've actually had the exact opposite behavior at work. I'll have an SMB share (from an NT server) mounted on the Mac. Since 10.2.3 I've actually gotten much better behavior. Sometimes I reboot the NT server without disconnecting the shares. After the server boots up again, the shares still work and there is no ill effect on the mac (unless I try to use the share).

in this case, SMB has turned out to be a better solution for me since the NT appletalk server truncates filenames and disconnects when I reboot the server.

My application folder and other never remember there size. I also have to resize them manually.
Other than that I love it. javascript:smilie(';)')

I also have problems with SMB freezing the machine if the pc goes to sleep. This is especially true if I try to unmount the share, forgetting to wake the pc first.

Doug

i don't like that the root is disabled as default. .. so had to look for how to able it.

also, i don't like the solidity of the backgrounds.. = i'd like to adjust them from terminal like i adjusted terminal ... i want transparency. and to fix it IN the apps, not with shadex ...

Aside from a couple of comlaints, like scanner support (which is entirely the manufacturers of said scanners fault), I would like to know what OS everyone is using. I use X on a variety of machines that I manage at work, ranging from blue and white G3s to DP G4s, and I have very little problems. Bottom line: if you like 9 better then go back to it. If you want to be able to tweak every little aspect of the system then sign on to be a developer with apple and get the source code. I just think that if the majority of the posters think that things need to be changed why not join up and help modify the system to how everyone wants it and then post a version or send it to Apple.

Let the flaming begin because I am sure that many are going to hate me for this post.

Labels can be resolved easily.

http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/labels/

I have used them for a while with absolutely no problems whatsoever. They work 98% as well as the OS 9 versions. The 2% being that Finder "Label" Column isn't as customizable as in you can either have it ON in the Finder List View or OFF.No ON in one folder, OFF in another. And the Label colors don't show up in the Save/Open dialogs... yet. They're working on it. But Unsanity did an AWESOME job recreating the functionality of Lables. I suggest andone who wants Labels download it right now.

Disclaimer: If you're one of those "Oh, Haxies can kill my system so I won't use them" people, Shut the heck up. I use a TON of Haxies by Unsanity which all use the "Application Enhancer" to do their business. I have had NO PROBLEMS WITH UNSANITY APE MODULES. If you don't want to use them, don't. But there is nothing wrong with a released APE Module.

Also, for Tabbed Docks, DragThing does this nicely. I've used that particular app for over a year and can't live without it.

Oh, and take a look at this if you never saw it. Tabbed Docks were an idea tossed around but never used. Along with Tear-off Custom Menus and more.

not being able to open more than "1" document info window.

browsing through folder structures by pressing CTRL + click on a folder

browsing through folder structures by pressing CTRL + click on the title bar of an opened folder window.

the space for "grabbing" and moving "windows" is too small under MacOS X. In my opinion the title bar is by far not enough to be able drag and move filder windows. In MacOS 9 users were able to grab a window by clicking on the tiny border right next to the scrollbars.

Possible Solution:
CTRL + ALT + CMD + click

--> the cursor appears as a "hand" and the user is able to drag and move windows.

CTRL + ALT + CMD + click as mentioned in point 4 for dragging and moving windows should be applicable for windows in ANY other application, including application palettes.

sincerely yours,

Back