Survey: What DON'T you like about how OSX behaves?

Scooby Dooby Do

Registered
I'm trying to get a sense of all the little UI elements and ways OSX behaves that everyone here really hates

(sort of like the way you still use your old walkman because all the buttons on that new MP3 player you bought are so counter-intuitively placed)

the finder will open windows wherever you last placed them. don't want it at the bottom? open a window, drag it to the top, close it. next window opens at the top. at least, that's the way it works on my system ... :D

1. The iMac can't do window resizing without lagging
2. It's a RAM-hog
3. Problems with Internet, on second connect in same uptime it freezes the system for 10-60 seconds before dialing
4. After much talk I've decided 1 dock isn't enough, I want 2
5. Holding a file over a folder in Finder won't open the folder like it did in 9...I loved that function, why did Apple rid of it?

All together, however, I love OS X

On My Finder....

I double click on a Folder and my window opens and the AC falls out.

Sorry I couldn't help it.:D

Ok, I'll sit down and shut up

JNUNEZNYC

ROFL!!!

Well, here are my rants:
its too slow
its carbon
its bulky
you still can't do things in it I can do with my performa running os8 - like lable folders, and have those lovely Spring Loaded folders.
Heck, you can't even right click on the desktop to change the background!

Also, clicking on the menu app which changes monitor resolutions and selecting 'Open Monitors....' does not work. WTF apple? Seriously, these things could be done in like 5 mins if they wanted to do them. This is so stupid imo.

Ok, so making the finder multithreaded and cocoa takes more than 5min... :p

Also, I want two docks as well. I also want window snapshots back.

Terminal.app needs a few more things as well.. like a drop down Function key menu like MacSSH has (os9 secure shell client).

Netinfo needs documentation mucho.

We need a better stock config of lookupd.

The lock/unlock deal with trash items needs an easy solution - like an option when you empty the trash to remove locked items as well. Heh then whats the point of locked items :p ?!?

More,

finder windows need to open scrolled to the TOP. Sometimes they don't in directories with lots of files. This is really annoying.

More apple-applications need to show the way in cocoa development. Not carbon-lazyness. Itunes uses incredable amounts of cpu and ram to do things mpg123 can do with 1% cpu and 2megs of ram. (command line mp3 player). More apps need contexual menus in the dock.

speaking of the dock,
we need more functionality here. Like the ability to control-click on any app and force quit it. Maybe a few cascading menus for that "force quit --> are you sure --> yes". And why can't we close windows from the dock? un-docking docked windows just to close them is so stupid.. (but I'm not at my osx box, so if this has been fixed, forgive me).

And we need to be able to adjust the bouncing icon stuff. DockDetox is a step in the right direction for sure.

Keys need more support too. So we can tab between buttons, and use menus without the mouse. the current supported method is utterly stupid. You have to press WAY too mant things to , say open an item in the dock, or press 'don't save' in a save dialoge.

ok thats it. Apple, osx rocks, but it still feels beta-ish and childish. Add more stuff!!!

Originally posted by kilowatt
speaking of the dock,
we need more functionality here. Like the ability to control-click on any app and force quit it.

You can force quit apps from the dock...just control-click on the app, and then hold option...the quit will change to force quit :)

Here are my gripes, many of them echoing the above posts:

1. no spring loaded folders
2. only having one dock
3. slow window resizing
4. slow classic performance
5. customizing icons, menus, etc. is much more daunting...I'm afraid to even try to change my trash icon

Thanks everyone for pouring out all this great feedback. It great to see no flames or irrational rants even though I was asking about what you don't like.

First of all, I like OSX. That said, it is really OS1. It's the first version of a new OS and it needs a LOT of polish.

Here are my dislikes.

Apple got rid of 20 years worth of innovation. There were several Mac-only interface behaviors that worked GREAT and, for whatever reason, Apple got rid of them with OSX:

- Spring loaded folders (A MUST)
- Pop-up folders
- Window Shading (more efficient at times than minimizing)
- Fat window borders (made is SO much easier to move stuff around)

Apple got rid of grouped application windows. In MacOS, traditionally, you could click on any window of an application and ALL of that window's applications came to the front. This made it much easier to switch between apps. My biggest peeve is that to bring up all of the finder windows, I need to click on the desktop, go to the menu, and then bring all windows to front. Yes, I KNOW it does that if I click on the Dock. That bugs me even more...why the discrepancies?

Other things Apple SHOULD have done:
- More integrated SMB support (such as a GUI browser)
- A better mail app. It's nice. Not great.
- Improved the Apple-Tab app switcher to the point where it was actually effecient (see LiteSwitch for how it should be done)
- Advanced dock. The dock, as is, is neat...not useful. It should be tabbed, allowing for multiple groups of apps.

Well, that's a start...

Oh...Kilowatt...I'm not sure if I understand your argument between Carbon and Cocoa. They produce the same end-result, just using slightly different APIs and libraries, correct? AFAIK, if you were writing an app from scratch, there would be no real benefit to use one or the other.

Originally posted by aluminum
Apple got rid of grouped application windows. In MacOS, traditionally, you could click on any window of an application and ALL of that window's applications came to the front. This made it much easier to switch between apps. My biggest peeve is that to bring up all of the finder windows, I need to click on the desktop, go to the menu, and then bring all windows to front. Yes, I KNOW it does that if I click on the Dock. That bugs me even more...why the discrepancies?

OS X uses a multithreaded system. (It could be even more so... but I digress.) Application windows are all separate entities. If you click from one window to another, it will not automatically bring forward any other windows (of the same application). You're clicking from window to window, NOT app to app. This is a benefit. The computer should not do anything you don't ask it to!

Now, if you want to bring all windows to the front for one app, use the dock. Click on the app's icon in the dock. Simple as that.

1 - The windows resizing is too slow : an option to disable the real-time redraw should be nice;
2 - Why is the windows manager so slow when opening a folder full of files ? When I open a folder with, say, 100 files, I get the little wheel again and again and again...
3 - Spring Loaded folders, but that seems to come with 10.2

1. I miss "Labels" from OS9.
2. I think the finder is super sluggish and the beachball is still around too much.
3. SMB browsing is needed.

Now, if you want to bring all windows to the front for one app, use the dock. Click on the app's icon in the dock. Simple as that.

Well, it's not as simple as it used to be, that's for sure. Having to mouse down to the dock, wait for it to pop-up, and then find the finder icon is a lot less efficient than just clicking on one of the open application windows.

Apple should have allowed you to option-click on a window to bring all app windows to the front, or at the very least, given us a key command to do that.

I guess I agree that it can be useful, as sometimes you only want one window front, but that seems like adding a feature while sacrificing another.

I forgot two things:

The clock:

- The digital clock is always in military time (unless I'm missing a setting somewhere...)

- I can't click on it to see the date. I have to use that silly pull-down.

The mouse:

I like how OSX natively supports right-clicking. Yet, for whatever reason, they still ship one-button mice.

my clock reads "Fri 6:43 PM" Maybe poke arround in system preferences a bit?

Izzy: THANKS!!! I love that option trick! it rocks! Basically, you giving me that tip was the same as if apple had given me a dock upgrade :) thanks a bunch!

aluminum: Here's my deal with carbon and cocoa. first off, they DO NOT produce the same end result. Not at all. Carbon apps generally use one to three threads and thus do not take full advantage of our Mach kernel's ability to micro-organize threads and effective utalize a dual processor computer. Even on single processor computers, priorities and such cannot be utalized correctly.

Also, carbon apps feel bulky and chunky. Cocoa apps are so slick on my comp. Especially on older hardware - the difference grows more and more obvious. Just look in %top while you run an app like omniweb and an app like IE (cocoa and carbon, respectively). IE tends to have a baseline processor useage, even if its doing nothing. while Omniweb opens up many threads, and effectively uses the processor.

bottom line, Cocoa is the new way, and carbon is the old way. Cocoa takes FULL advantage of OSX, and carbon simply does not.

Also, not to open up another file system debate, but the carbon toolkit doesn't properly handel UFS. Cocoa doesn't care though :p

no prob kilowatt...glad I could help

I didn't know that trick myself until I read it somewhere in a OSX tip website...:p

Hey aluminum, to change your clock from 12/24 go to System preferences/international/time

I know it is weird.. sort of makes sense.. but a pain if you don't know where it is..

ck

Back