Swapping harddrives from silver G4 to G5 (and viceversa)?

Morgan19

Registered
Need a quick answer for this one...

We have to Macs in the office: one of the newer silvery G4s and one G5. We're swapping the users of those two computers and rather than switching their files between the two, would it be possible to just physically swap the harddrives?

In other words, can I take the harddrive in the silver G4 and put it in the G5, and vice-versa and still have everything work properly?

m19

All PowerMacs G4 have IDE/ATA hard drives, all PowerMac G5 have SerialATA hard drive, so a phisical swapping is imposible, the connectors inside the computer are different, so the answer is No, you can't.

Maybe a good option is buying an external hard drive enclousure, so you can install the hdd in the enclousure and connect that via firewire or USB. With that you can boot the computer from that drive.

Shoot. I was hoping maybe since it was one of the newer G4s it might be possible. Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate it.

m19

The answer is YES, but you would have to use an IDE PCI card in the G5 for the G4's drive, and a SATA PCI card in the G4 for the G5's drive.

really, how hard is it to copy the users' home folder over network or removable media?

Pengu said:
really, how hard is it to copy the users' home folder over network or removable media?

No offense, but what difference does it make to you? I had a specific question in mind and you telling me the obvious really doesn't accomplish anything. Your opinion is great, but if you're not contributing please don't bother posting.

m19

Back