Sweet!

btoneill

keeper of the cheese
Well, just got my $66 refurbed Radeon 8500 and go it sucessfully flashed, so now I'm QE-Enabled and I love it. The speed just blows away my two rage 128 cards.

Also, watching DVD's behind a terminal window is just too cool to play with, which leads me to some interesting things to note:

1. OroborOSX's transparency appears to be done completely by Quartz, as I can watch DVD movies behind an inactive translution X windows app. Just more fun :)

2. This one is what blew me away, not sure if it's from the 8500, QE, or if it worked before, just never played with it but, I found a way to play a DVD in the window that doesn't have the menu bar. With "Virtual Desktops" installed from Codetek I'm able to drag the DVD window from a playing DVD onto any desktop, and also able to drop it onto the 2nd display, and all is well. Now, knowing that I it is physically possible to watch a DVD on either screen, anyone have any clue why apple won't let us?

Brian

It was at newegg.com, but after I ordered it, went back to the link to post it for others, and it was gone. Must have been the only one. It's also just an OEM 8500 64M LE (slower clocking then then normal one), you can find them for less then $100 on alot of sites. Just checked and they have the refurb one listed that I got on newegg, but lists them as out of stock.

Brian

awesome, thanks!

What about something like this? I'm running a B&W G3 400 w/ 256 meg of ram with the stock Rage 128... would this be a worthy upgrade?

REFURBISHED: ATI RADEON 7500 64MB DDR AGP BULK,Power by ATI , Powered by the RADEON 7500 graphics processing unit (GPU) High performance 3D graphics featuring ATI’s CHARISMA ENGINE PIXEL TAPESTRY and HYPER Z technologies RADEON 7500 display engine enables many combinations of CRT (VGA), digital flat panel (DVI), and TV displays.NO DVI to VGA Adaptor (OEM, BAREBONE) Model#: RADEON 7500(S) _-OEM Special Free FedEx Saver Shipping

It says something about a DVI to VGA adapter? I'm not too up on any of ATI's cards lately. Is this something that I'm going to need to use the B&W Studio display? Any other drawbacks? Such as is this an AGP card and I do not know it?

As far as I know the only ATI PC card that has been successfully flashed for use in a mac is the 64M Radeon 8500.

Brian

ok, I am wondering though. The pictures show AGP cards without a mention of them being AGP. (both the card I am looking at and the card that you had bought) Is there any way to tell if you are recieving one or the other?

I don't think they made a non-AGP version of either the 7500 or 8500. I think the latest non-AGP ATI card is the 7000.

Brian

alright, bummer. thanks for the help though.

would I see a benifit of using the 7000 over my Rage? I was under the impression that QE wouldn't run on anything under the 7500.

I guess I'll have to look into that.

Back