Switch campaign... real "actors"...

Originally posted by BlingBling 3k12
You don't think they could have pulled out 8 or so stories, got people to come in and speak about it?

Okay, I'll have to pull rank here.

I know from experience there's no way in hell Apple could have put together such a diversified group in a short period of time. I've tried my best to explain it in laymans terms, but if you're not understanding me, that's not my problem.

As far as you going so far as to suggest "conspiracy theory"-- whatever. On the flip side, if you want to see the world through a pair of rose-colored glasses that's fine--but don't tout me as Mr. Negative becuase I can spot a rat ad campaign.

I'm simply stating my disgust with how far advertising goes to pull the wool over your eyes.

I brought this whole topic up as a kind of eye-opener, becuase I'm sick of Apple really sticking their advertising where it doesn't belong--within one's trust and faith. That, to me, is really insulting my intelligence and hitting below the belt.

It really makes me laugh, actually. I'll tell you what. Put an ad in the paper looking for people who have switched recently. Then set up a screening process for all the people who responded. Out of all the people who responded, find the EXACT perfect story and match it to the EXACT ethnic background--and then, you'll have to screen their personalities, do a background check etc, etc, because you wouldn't want them doing anything that looked bad. The fact that these people are wallflowers shouldn't surprise you--they were designed that way.

With all do respect, stop taking this too seriously... Apple wants you to give into their religion, and it seems to be working...

:confused:

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
is it obvious that Casey's ibook didn't arrive today? :D

i think we need to start a 'work off your frustrations' forum and throw pezagent and BB into the first thread. ;)

(hopefully it will show tomorrow Casey :) )

Hey this is like, safe venting... if you don't like my posts, don't read them. I would expect most people to have an open mind and just scan over this stuff like I do... if you take it too personally...

Besides, don't worry about it... I vent for a little while then I dissapear once I've worked out all the kinks... dig? Obviously this stuff is bugging me and I'm tryin' to work it out. That's how I learn about things...

It's about time those italics worked right... :p

I hate the switch ads. They are very condescending, rude and obnoxious. Especially towards their target audiance, PC users.

Most of the "real people" look like puppets on a string. Are they reading off cue cards? What's with the mechanical arm jestures and smug expressions? It's literally uncomfortable for me to watch them.

They may very well be "real people" but they certainly seem as if they are being coached and what's the deal with their latest monkey on a string, Ellen Feiss. Is this Apple's attempt to appeal to their stoneresque user base? She doesn't even say she uses a Mac for christ sakes.

Have comedians do your ads Apple. Will Ferrell is a lot more entertaining than Sarah "pig-vomit" Whistler.

I've always felt most Mac users lacked the ability to communicate outside their little clique and I think the switch campaign proves this theory. Apple is trying to sell Macs to PC users and at the same time insult them. How f*cking stupid is that? Pure irony.

I can't wait to see Apple's Q3 and Q4 earnings. It's not the same game as when they released the original iMac. It's a lot more competitive and PCs are a hell of a lot more inexpensive. It's going to take more than a new iMac and some asinine ad campaign to save them this time around.

How about some real speed and reasonable prices Apple? If you want to be a niche market, keep up the good work. If you want to play with the big boys, you're going to have to change your act completely.

As much as I think they are actors, I don't think it matters. They are trying to sell computers and that's that. Personally I don't care how they do it, but they are a corporation in capitalist America so that's what they do. But also I need to comment on the irony of this comment:
That, to me, is really insulting my intelligence and hitting below the belt.
These commercials are not aimed at you. Why? because you have an above average intelligence. Well, I don't know that for sure, but you seem intelligent and based on recent poll results, Mac users are smarter. These "Switch" ads are aimed at PC users and therefore are aimed at below average intelligence people.

That's another thing about marketing. You find a large geographic and aim commercials at it. Apple's geographic right now is stupid people. Coincidentally, you are neither stupid nor a PC user so leave it well enough alone.

P.S. If you are a PC user, sorry for the low blow there about the intelligence thing. Not ALL PC users are dumb. Some of them use *NIX. Windows users are all stupid.

... if you don't like my posts, don't read them

here's a news flash - i moderate this forum and therfore must read every post you make here. It is listening to the same whine over and over again that grates on my nerves. I can't stop you. i wouldn't stop you out of principle. but it really is tiring to read the same argument over and over.

truth is something you recognise the first time you hear it. so why go around repeating yourself? post a comment once and then let others find it. no need to spout the same spew in every thread on the site.

btw - pezagent meet azosx. you guys should become best buddies in no time. ;)

(frankly i'm at the point that i never want to see another thread about processor speeds again. my machine is way slower than any of the whiners and i think it works well enough. i don't need a computer that runs at the speed of light. so this thread is at least comical relief for me :p )

Same here, I am extremely happy running a busy design company ona G4 400, with absolutely no probs:D

Okay, I'll upgrade maybe soon, but, there's no reason to be a speed demon... it's not the size and how fast you use it, it's the way you use it and how good it feels that counts:rolleyes: ;) :D

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
(frankly i'm at the point that i never want to see another thread about processor speeds again. my machine is way slower than any of the whiners and i think it works well enough. i don't need a computer that runs at the speed of light. so this thread is at least comical relief for me :p )

You have G3 iMac correct? I've used them at school, horrid little beasts. What's comical to me is that your iMac is probably a bear to use today so you likely run older apps and punish yourself just to be loyal to Apple.

Give me a break. At least with a PC you could have upgraded that processor among other things. :)

It is however a testament to Apple and whatever they may be doing right that their user base is so loyal but at the same time, it seriously makes me question the overall intelligence of their users.

Pound for pound, in todays market, especially after the release of the new PowerMacs, Macs are an overall poor investment compared to the competition. Especially for people who don't have much money to spend.

Originally posted by azosx

You have G3 iMac correct? I've used them at school, horrid little beasts. What's comical to me is that your iMac is probably a bear to use today so you likely run older apps and punish yourself just to be loyal to Apple.

Give me a break.
I have a 125MHz PowerMac 7600 sitting not 10 feet away from me, and ya know what, it's not a speedy bastard, but it does what it does and it gets it done pretty nicely. I only turn it on from time to time, but when I get on, it works nicely. IE, LimeWire, QuickTime, and a few other apps at the same time...

We all don't have to have super powerful machines....

I've got a 350MHz HP Pavilion downstairs... yes, it can't run the latest Photoshop very fast, but for what it gets used for, it's a speedy machine.

I've also got this 866MHz Pentium 3 Dell that I'm typing on right now. It's slow, I'll admit. Mostly because of Windows hogging half of my damn resources... When you start launching my apps, Photoshop 7, Premiere 6, Dreamweaver, etc. then it gets slow... but it's bearable, and I can get all my work done on here. It's been a good system the past year and a half. Yeah... I bought it new and now it's a junker... whodathunkit!

We don't all have to have the best and baddest systems to get work done... If it works, don't fix it...

And you want a break? How about a break from my kit-kat bar? You can have the rest... :p

I have a friend who is looking at buying a new laptop. He told me about it, and he is very biased against Macs in a very typical way - ignorance. Anyway, I says to him "Well, if you're intrested in a Mac, check out the iBook." He laughs and says "You can't use Macs for anything except bashing!" Typical conversation, of course. But then he says… "Actually, everybody is telling me to get a Mac." I suggested going in to CompUSA or the Apple Store in the Mall Of America to get a hands-on experience with the new machines / OS X.

If you ask me, the commercials are striking a chord with PC users out there. I don't know if he's seen any, but I still believe it.

Originally posted by azosx

i can see how you would percieve it this way. but i find my daily computing experience to be quite pleasurable. i don't waste my time worrying about half second delays. i've got to stop and sip my coffee from time to time anyway. And all the apps i use regularly are completely up to date and work great. i don't use any 'professional' software so i have no need for a computer that competes in drag races.
Give me a break. At least with a PC you could have upgraded that processor among other things. :)

i'm not a computer mechanic and wouldn't spend all my time replacing parts anyway. i also have access to a 600 mhz imac and frankly, i don't find the difference in performance to be so great that i feel like i'm missing anything. not everyone wants to be the coolest geek in town. i just want a computer that works for me so that i have time to do the other things in life that are my real interests. my mac is a tool for some of those interests. and it does the job i intened it for.
It is however a testament to Apple and whatever they may be doing right that their user base is so loyal but at the same time, it seriously makes me question the overall intelligence of their users.

Pound for pound, in todays market, especially after the release of the new PowerMacs, Macs are an overall poor investment compared to the competition. Especially for people who don't have much money to spend.

those of us who don't have much money to spend are not power mac consumers to start with. we could care less. i for one would much rather see apple expand its consumer user base rather than cater to a handful of super geeks who will never be satisfied untill their computer responds instantly to their thought patterns through an electrode input device.

sign me 'happy with my old imac', simply because it works well with os x with a minimum amount of investment in some additional ram back when the prices were at rock bottom (about $60 for the two 256 sticks i have now :) )

just because i don't drive the lastest sports car version of a mac doesn't mean i'm not satisfied with my mac experience. It's just so much more than whose is bigger and faster and more popular.

just thinking aloud... there are the professionals (graphics designers, developers etc.) who buy the most expensive Apple hardware, because they need it. they also have the money for it, as the price of a PowerMac is really only a part of a bigger equation here. for example, PEOPLE cost that money every month instead of once in a year. those people _should_ get better and better high end Apple Macintosh computers.

then there are the gamers. i don't quite understand why they don't just buy a cheap PC which can share the same monitor, because games ARE better on the PC and there are more of them. it's also easier (and cheaper) to upgrade a PC with a new processor (and overclock it) or a graphics card. the mac gamers won't EVER be content with new PowerMacs because a) they're not professionals who pay big money for their computers and b) because the PC is simply the better platform for playing games right now.

but there _are_ several more interest groups in Apple's segments. there are lawyers (making money, aren't they) who want a TiBook because of the style. there are teachers who like the iMacs and eMacs as well as the iBooks. there are musicians who - depending on the money they're making - are very content with the Mac their money _can_ buy.

if you know your mac, you can make an older iMac a very, very good machine for your everyday tasks, if they don't include video editing or high end publishing, of course. (or game play, for that matter...)

Originally posted by fryke
... there are musicians who - depending on the money they're making - are very content with the Mac their money _can_ buy...

I was watching something on MTV and one of the band mates from No Doubt pulled an iBook and iPod out of his bag and he showed it off. Good stuff :)

If you guys really cared about Apple, you'd spend less time drooling over iCrap and realize they're 9 out of 12.

Actors, actors, actors, actors, actors.

Why did I start this thread? Because Apple needs actors to help people make the switch.

If you think that's a neccessary evil of some sort, maybe you need to go back to why we started using Apple in the first place.

Did you need an actor back in 1984 to tell you that Apple was something different?

Are you following my point?

If all Apple's got left up its sleeve is a bunch of paid actors touting how Apple is cute and cuddly then this company is in real trouble.

And if there's one thing I've learned in all my years, it's that the BS starts from the top.

And unfortunately, Steve is at the top. And personally, I don't know about you guys, but I'm sick of fighting his holy war.

So, if Admin can grow up and accept other people's opinions and doesn't ban me, I'd really like to have a half-decent conversation about the reality of Apple frickin' computer. No homogenization, no sugar-coating, no cheerleading, just tough love and answers.

So, who's up for the Pepsi challenge? Anybody?

PAiD (PezAgent in Disguise)

Originally posted by fab5freddy
Why did I start this thread? Because Apple needs actors to help people make the switch.

If you think that's a neccessary evil of some sort, maybe you need to go back to why we started using Apple in the first place.
I think you're right. Apple does need actors to help people "make the switch" (buy their products). But if you watch any TV, most TV endorsements employ actors and actresses to tout a company's product.

Dell employs Ben Curtis, Gap has Willie Nelson & Ryan Adams, and Proctor & Gamble have Mr. Clean.

So what exactly is your problem, fab5freedy?

Even if Aaron Adams was just a made up fake, you still don't have much of a point to make.

Back