Switch for Thunderbolt - two Macs sharing one Apple Studio Monitor, 5k not 4k,Thunderbolt not HDMI

deke

Registered
Hello all, the internet is not being kind. I am looking for some solution to switch between 2 Macs and a 5k Studio Monitor using Thunderbolt. So many of the switches that might be close are for 4k video, not 5. Others requires various adapters (HDMI and others). For example, this one seems great for 4k video, but that's it.

From this I am assuming for any solution with some type of HDMI adapter I would lose video signal/quality and/or other data transmitted by Thunderbolt to/from the Studio Monitor (like audio, using its mic and camera). I admit I do not understand enough about this. If there were some switch that supported the right speeds, but had HDMI connectors would some type of HDMI to Thunderbolt adapter result in losing all the non video data to the Studio Monitor?

Short of just swapping the cables I don't see any good options out there. Right now I don't care about charging or keyboard or mouse, just the Thunderbolt 3. Of course if there were some all in one solution that would be great, but I am 99% sure it does not exist. Googled extensively and there are many others out there trying to sort this out.

Back