Switch from safari to firefox

Safari is still my default. It just suits my mind better.

-close tabs in the tabs
-spelling and all
-default text is more readable
-feels less kludged into the computer
(I even leave the brushed metal on now)

Still, I use firefox for certain sites and want the "Are You Sure" dialog box when closing the whole window with multiple tabs to come to Safari.

I've actually switched back from Firefox to Safari now. Firefox just feels too chunky and the GUI is slow. For a while, I was using Camino - but after trying Safari 1.3 DP5 which is - hands down - the fastest browser I've ever tried, I decided to go back.

Safari is king.

Does anyone else notice the horrid scrolling in FireFox? They've even got an "Enable Smooth Scrolling" option that seems to make it more jumpy and kludgy than normal!

I use Safari. I just don't think it gets any better than Safari, although my Windows machines all have FireFox as the default.

Wow I don't know how you people come up with so many issues. ;) I've been using FireFox for a while now and I love it. For me it renders pages faster than Safari.

I have no idea what this means : "default text is more readable" What? Where?

Pages render the same in FF as they do in Safari with one exception. MacThemes has some bad coding.

I have spell check via an extension and it's great.

The only gripe I have is that it doesn't do flash websites as good as Safari.

If you feel you are having issues, do a clean install of FireFox. This means getting rid of the FireFox in home/library/application support/

:)

Look at the extensions available for Firefox. SmoothWheel is one of them when using a mouse with scroll wheel.

I think, for me, that firefox is a great browser. I still use Safari as my default. Overall, I find the scrolling and rendering better. Occasionally, I use firefox, and look forward to future releases.

sum_ifx_i said:
...A couple of relatively "hidden" features of safari that are useful to switchers:
1) to change default browser in panther you must go into safari preferences, not into system preference (this is not as rational as it was in jaguar, apple is getting worse and worse as time passes, but what can we do..)
...or you can get the old Internet Pref Pane from OS X 10.0 (10.1?). That provides the same default browser setting in the pref pane.

I know there is a thread on this subject, but can't find it... This is sort of related:
http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38081&highlight=default+browser+pref

twister said:
Wow I don't know how you people come up with so many issues. ;) I've been using FireFox for a while now and I love it. For me it renders pages faster than Safari.

I have no idea what this means : "default text is more readable" What? Where?

Pages render the same in FF as they do in Safari with one exception. MacThemes has some bad coding.

I have spell check via an extension and it's great.

The only gripe I have is that it doesn't do flash websites as good as Safari.

If you feel you are having issues, do a clean install of FireFox. This means getting rid of the FireFox in home/library/application support/

:)

how do you do a clean install? Thats something that has been bugging me for a while? Every time i want to use msn messenger or firefox i have to start it up and have the application icon. I want to make it permanant. Thanks.

To do a clean install. Quit Firefox then go into Home -> Library -> Application Support ->Firefox -> Profiles and then throw out (or re-name) that profile. It'll be something odd like alksdjf.default That'll force Firefox to start over next time it starts.

ps. sorry it took so long. ;) I don't come here often anymore.

Don't suppose anyone has come up with a way around a problem I now have with firefox in that it has just made my browser window so big I can't make it smaller at the bottom left :( It literally fills the screen and even when I quit and restart, it is just the same. I hate it.

OK rant over, but if anyone does know how to make my windows smaller, I would appreciate it ;)

Change your monitors resolution making it smaller then move the FF window up and change resolutions back.

kramm said:
this thread made me a little curious, so i downloaded it and tested on a few sites. i wanted to try some videos so i went to upn.com and it was very choppy compared to safari. it would actually freeze half the video and still play the bottom portion. then i went to gwenstefani.com to check out some flash and that was fine....... where it hung up was when i clicked a news article and it brings you to a heavily animated page. it just froze completely, i had to force quit.

so, needles to say, safari is my main browser still.
There IS a hanging bug with Firefox and Flash... but it's already being worked on, so it should be fixed before too long.

I have been using Firefox on Windows since January 2004... so when I got my Mac two weeks ago I just kept using it. I'm glad to have all of my extensions like Adblock and FireFTP. Also the keyboard shortcuts.

Safari seems like a solid browser, and crashes less often (not that either crash a lot), but it loads pages slower. The "Private Browsing" feature is very nice though.

Camino is OK but slow and crashes all the time. I have it installed but don't use it.

I never bothered with IE for Mac; I've heard it's the slowest. Plus IE sucks anyway, even if it were fast, so I don't have any intention of using it.

Back