Switchers

koim

Registered
Judging from what I´ve read on this forum, Apple´s switch campaign seems to be working. :)

Heh. i just got my ibook this week. :) So far I like it, but i'm not 'switching'. To claim one OS over another is silly. Each has it's pros/cons. What makes owning a mac awesome is that I can use my Unix/linux experience in this So-called OSX.

I use IBM OS/390, "Winders", Unix and AIX at work. To embrace technology as a whole is awesome. Why eat just the blue M&Ms? heh. :p

I got my 1Ghz TiBook in December, and really enjoy it. Stable, reasonably fast, has UNIX without dual booting, and it can burn DVD's.

However, there are a few programs I use in Windoze and just can't find the same thing for the Mac. (Really like Picture2Exe) I think I miss that one the most.

I use Solaris, FreeBSD, Linux, and Windoze at work, and OSX gives me the UNIX access I need when working from home.

I'm quite happy with the Mac, but won't throw out the Windoze box just yet. I still need the Windoze box for Picture2Exe. But maybe some day..........

I am a potential switcher.......have been considering for 3 years. (or maybe even a little longer). The next step for the switching campaign to be even more successful. well i think it is cost-prohibitive to switch now.

One thing that concerns me is speed. and looking at the mhz #s, a PC is at least twice as fast as an equivalent apple. and that will scare people off. Especially when they think about future software costs, it seems really expensive for 1/2 as much computer. I think if the processor sppeds are a lot closer, it removes that potential objection and frees your computer choice up to being the coolest computer. Hopefully this will be the year apple bridges the gap, and I will be able to switch with a clear conscious.

Until then I just look to the rumor sites for future clues and sit and wait.........

-----------------looking to replace my 5 year-old sony laptop

Jade: Go ahead and test what you would be doing on a Mac. Forget for a moment about the MHz numbers. What really matters is how fast you get your work (or not your work, but fun) done. And that's where Macintosh excels. It's the design of 'easy to use', it's how the machine works for you instead of the other way 'round that makes the Macintosh a better computer.

I don't really care whether the next PowerPC processors will be labelled 2 GHz, X MegaFlips or 200 MHz, as long as they're faster than the processors we're using now.

Benchmarks are all nice and that, but seriously: Are you the person that lets your computer run for four hours without interaction rendering something? I'm not. Most of the time I'm interacting with my computer, and there is where speed matters. Speed of workflow, that is. And the Mac's just faster.

Most people use their computer to surf the net or do word processing. You can do that on a 486 with the same speed as on new hardware. How fast can you type? Mhz is only for rendering 3D, pro music apps or if you want to play the latest games. Most hardware of today is faster then the majority of people can work anyway. It's the whole experience what makes a platform work or not.

I almost thought your message meant I was wrong, but then I noticed that you only supported what I said, Meltdown. ;)

I'm not a "switcher" per se, because I use PCs at work, but I bought my quicksilver tower before it became fashionable to switch.

... and my lousy english, i'm from south of fryke ;)

the mhz don't tell the truth even when you have the same software in different OS's. so a photoshop in a mac of xx mhz is faster than a photoshop in windoze of xx+yy mhz.

it's weird there are NO people in the switch campaings switched or enchanced from other platforms than windoze. .. even redhat is doing the switch campaign - i think i'd enjoy the idea of being in two switch campaings = "why i chose linux" and then asap after that a mac switch. being a switch from an *X would do good for them, and i'm not the only who has run from other OS's. .. Oh, sun is nice also but i never realised that a computer i was using was a sun unless i looked in the logo :D ...

Well, I'm new here, just got a new iMac last month. Am in love..... *sigh*....
My iMac is wonderful. I love the way it looks, big face, skinny little neck-thing, and cute round bottom... that's why I've named it already... "Baby-boo" :)
I was so SICK & TIRED of my stupid PC (Compaq) crashing & dying and freezing .... eeee, what a nightmare.
I bought an older mac at a garage sale... and it had an older operating system (forget which version... 8 maybe?) but I LOVED it at once.

My kids hated it (PC heads), but I knew my next computer would be a Mac. My teenage son, who's into programming, web design, servers, (and who does Java, Javascript, HTML, C+, SQL, Apache, .... um... what else...something that starts with a 'P'... I get the letters mixed up sometimes since I never really know what he's talking about....) anyway, he thinks he needs to use a PC...
but he's been sneaking onto my computer at times (says he just wants to see what his site looks like 'on a Mac'...) so I'm hoping he'll come around.

Say, how do you get to make a picture under your member name? (I'm definitely not a techie type... just another housewife who wants to DO something on a computer without messing it up too much!!)

Originally posted by bambi
Say, how do you get to make a picture under your member name? (I'm definitely not a techie type... just another housewife who wants to DO something on a computer without messing it up too much!!)

1. Make sure you're logged in to the site
2. Look above the lists of formus and click on "user cp"
3. Click on "edit options"
4. Scroll to bottom of page, find "Avatar" section
5. Click on "Change Avatar"
6. Follow instructions on page for adding your icon to your user name.

Originally posted by jade
I am a potential switcher.......have been considering for 3 years. (or maybe even a little longer). The next step for the switching campaign to be even more successful. well i think it is cost-prohibitive to switch now.

One thing that concerns me is speed. and looking at the mhz #s, a PC is at least twice as fast as an equivalent apple. and that will scare people off. Especially when they think about future software costs, it seems really expensive for 1/2 as much computer. I think if the processor sppeds are a lot closer, it removes that potential objection and frees your computer choice up to being the coolest computer. Hopefully this will be the year apple bridges the gap, and I will be able to switch with a clear conscious.

Until then I just look to the rumor sites for future clues and sit and wait.........

-----------------looking to replace my 5 year-old sony laptop

As a fellow potential switcher, but also as an engineer who works in the computer industry, I can say that you pay more for Macs because you get more. No stardard PC's come with firewire, and gigabit ethernet, and can be upgraded to up to 1GB of memory. And as far as processor speeds, you can never take two computer chips that are built on two totally different architectures, and compare their performances based on the clock speeds. Got to apple.com/myth for more info. Based on my knowledge of both the Pentium4 and PowerPC architectures, a PowerPC with 1GHz clock speed is comparable to a 2-2.5GHz Pentium in performance, but with LESS power consumption, which is what is making buying a Powerbook or iBook so compelling to me. Just my 2 cents.

Originally posted by djliquidice
I use IBM OS/390, "Winders", Unix and AIX at work. To embrace technology as a whole is awesome. Why eat just the blue M&Ms? heh. :p

Because they taste a lot better than those crappy red, green, yellow and brown ones... :D

Originally posted by bambi
(and who does Java, Javascript, HTML, C+, SQL, Apache, .... um... what else...something that starts with a 'P'... I get the letters mixed up sometimes since I never really know what he's talking about....)

I believe what you are looking for is PHP (Hypertext Pre-processor--interprets and parses your code before writing the final product to the screen). And all of those come standard with OS X, which means your cutesy little iMac is one lean, mean, (I wish I could say) green coding Mac-chine.

i'm a "switcher"...but if anything, the switch campaign made me not want to switch.

It was OSX mostly, but i couldn't find a lower cost solution and still get a powerful mac.
Well the second the LCD iMac came out, i couldn't believe it.
It was one of the best lookin things i've ever seen, powerful enough, and had an LCD screen.
I think they should focus on how cool their stuff is instead on how a few idiots couldn't figure out how to get a camera working on a windows computer ;)

Back