Switching between OS 9 and X

elektrobank

Registered
After installing and running OS X for a few week I had to go back to 9 to burn some CDs. Then when I tried to go back to X by selecting it in the startup disk control panel, I was not able to. Then I restarted my Mac and held down the option key to bring up the boot disk selector, but only the OS 9 disk showed up. What's going on, why can't I go back to X??
Have others been able to do it, if so how?

insert the mac os x disk into your computer while os 9 is running. open the folder "utilities," and there's a "control panel" in that cd called "system disk." just select the disk that mac os x is installed on and restart... that should solve it...

BoLinDilly

The system disk utility is also installed in a "Mac OS 9" folder on your OS X partition. if you installed it on the same partition (not a good idea btw) then it's still in the Mac OS 9 folder along with the rest of the stuff that was on your hard drive before you installed X.

The Startup Disk control panel under 9 does not recognize OS X systems, that's why that one doesn't work for you.

Why is installing OS X on 9's partition a "Bad" idea?

Thanks!

mick

Originally posted by LunaMorena
The system disk utility is also installed in a "Mac OS 9" folder on your OS X partition. if you installed it on the same partition (not a good idea btw) then it's still in the Mac OS 9 folder along with the rest of the stuff that was on your hard drive before you installed X.

The Startup Disk control panel under 9 does not recognize OS X systems, that's why that one doesn't work for you.

Installing OS X on the same partition as OS9 is a bad idea because OSX is a beta OS and as such is quite difficult to uninstall or fix when it goes wrong. It's best to keep it sealed off from OS9 by putting it on an entirely different partition.

Also, keeping 2 systems on 1 disk is a relatively new feature and hasn't been tested all that much (well it has now I suppose).

As a testimonial, I just bought a new G4-400 w/ 128 RAM and installed OS Xon the same partition w/ 9. It worked fine, but the startup disk control panel in os x crashed whenever I tried to select os 9, and when I rebooted it could no longer start up at all. It turned out to be not TOO serious because I could reboot off the OS 9 CD and then choose the right startup disk, but 2 partitions is definitely the way to go.

Back