Switching Desktop folders?!

nickholl

Registered
I have 3 partitions - 1 with OS9, 1 with OSX and one as a storage. Is it possible for me to use the desktop in the storage partition as the desktop that I see and drag things onto?

this would be sooooo usefull, as I normally end up having to copy things from the desktop to the storage partition :(

thanks for your help

I did something similar, only on the same partition — but you can follow the same procedure anyway. What I did was to make the Desktop of OS 9 and the Desktop of OS X the same! It's quite simple really...

Log on your computer using AppleTalk.

Make an alias of the "Desktop Folder" in your storage partition.

Delete (or rather rename) the folder "Desktop" from your home directory (in the OS X partition) with the use of Terminal.app (you must be su to be able to do so).

Move the alias to your home directory and rename it "Desktop".

Restart OS X.

You may encounter some problems with the owning of some files at first, but this trick usually works! I HAVEN'T TESTED THIS, but you may do as well for OS 9 — Rename the "Desktop Folder" otherwise and place an alias of the desktop folder of your storage partition renamed "Desktop Folder" (depending on how you make aliases, you may not get the same name as the original folder).

Back