Switching from Entourage to Mail

jove

I am switching from Entourage to Mail, mostly because of Mail's spam filter. When I create a new email in Entourage, it offers me a choice of names and email addresses that it got from emails that I previously sent and received. I didn't enter anything directly into the Contacts list. Mail doesn't know any of these names and email addresses.

How do I get this list from Entourage to Mail?

Dear All,

Sorry to say, there is no direct 'import' feature within Mail that will import your 'contact' list.

The feature that you mentioned from within Entourage works on the addresses from past email. Brilliant feature if you ask me.

Sorry to say, it seems that you might have to type each contact in by hand, use the Address Book for this.

In my opinion, if you have used Entourage in the past, and you are switching to Mail, you will be switching back, mark my words...

I myself have done, and I know a few people that who have done it as well.

Mark my words, mark my words...

PS. There might be a third party shareware app that does this that I might not know about. Check out www.versiontracker.com and www.macupdate.com to see if there is such an app.

1. In Entourage open up the Address Book.
2. Make a new folder on the Desktop - open it.
3. Drag the Addresses from Entourage in one big lump to the open folder.
4. Wait - it hangs.
5. All addresses and details appear as .vcards for you.
6. Now open Apple Address Book
7. Drag the Vcards into the window - done.

No need to re-type anything.

Same for getting stuff onto the iPod etc.

I've recently switched to Mail from Entourage because Entourage had a serious Keychain problem on my G4. I'm not going back to Entourage.

Thanks for the advice. It worked just like you said it would.

I didn't have the email addresses as contacts, though. They weren't in the Entourage Address Book. But there is a quick command to make a contact from the sender of an email. I sorted my mailbox by sender and added those I wanted. Once they were all there, I followed the steps you gave.

Now I'll see how much I like Mail over Entourage. I know Entourage has more features but I don't really use them. However, I get massive quantities of junk mail and I'm eager to try out Mail's learning junk mail filter.

Apple Mail can Bounce any email to sender.

Good for making it look like your address is dead - so spam will go away....

I've been using Mail for a while now.

The junk mail filter is very good, odd few proper emails get caught. I leave it in learning mode then all Spam is marked Brown (for obvious reasons!). Then you can quickly select them and bin them. Any that look "ok" you can read. Otherwise in Automatic mode all Junk will be put in the bin automatically - so you could miss a good email...

Thing I don't like: is having to "download" you email. In Entourage / Outlook Express you can set any email Account (POP or IMAP) to be an "Online Account". Then you can just see all the email headers listed directly from the server, without downloading the full email - and from that delete any emails you don't want to download BEFORE you have to download them to see what that they are.... you can't browse online email in Apple Mail yet (I don't think).

Good luck.
There is nothing wrong with Apple Mail.

It is a little Sluggish though to display the email lists.

It has good Folder features, called Mail Boxes. So you can set up one for each of your friends and have Filters set to collect mail from them in their own folders. Just like in Entourage.

Adding attachments to a email can be a little strange as File icons can be placed Anywhere in the email body text... it never seems to send them wrong though... even to PCs. And it shows previews of PDFs and Photos directly in the email... very handy.

Also...

It's dead easy to MOVE your email from one Mac to another.

In your user/library folder you'll find a Mail folder. Copy that.

And in user/library/preferences folder you can find: com.apple.mail.plist

Copy those 2 things to another Mac and put them in their respective places and ALL settings and Email is moved to another Mac.

Very useful to know when deleting a Mac or syncing with a PowerBook - just wish iSync would do it for you.... go to Feedback and ask for it - I have.

Back