Switching Startup Disk from OS9 to OS X and Back again

jbwalsh

Registered
David R
above Wrote

"Actually, if you are in OS 9 and need to go back into OS X, run the SYSTEM DISK application that comes in the OS X CD and select your OS X partition/disk from there. The start up disk control panel will do nothing for you in this case, in fact, like you found out, it'll crash.

I copied the System Disk app to my OS 9 desktop so that it's easily accessible."

I agree with him.

I have two partitions on my Powerbook one OS 9.04 and one OS X

It also worked for me when going from my OS 9 partition on my Bronze powerbook back to startup from my OS X Partition.

When in OS X One has to use the System Preferences to access the Mac OS X Startup Icon to startup from the OS 9 Partition.

The Startup Control Panel in OS 9 will not Work!!

In Summary "System Disk" Application copied from the OS X Install CD will switch you from OS 9 to OS X and System Preference Starup Disk icon in OS X will allow you to go back to the OS 9 Partition.

Apple made a blunder in not informing people of these essential facts and there is as yet nothing posted on this crucial topic on their feedback and answers site!!

Thank God for http://www.macosx.com!!!

J Bernard Walsh (Dublin Ireland)

jbwalsh@stjames.ie

Hi,

I got OS X beta today and installed it on my bronze G3/400 powerbook. The installation went well and OS X boots up as a happy camper.

I am unable to get Classic to load properly... it boots up and then the window just disappears. Others on this board have mentioned that I have to disable to basic extensions only, however even loading with extensions turned off gave me the same result.

When I got to attempt to boot up my machine with OS9 only, the Start Up disk under OS X just crashes basically... and I am really clueless on what to do.

Holding down the option key at boot up causes the computer to reboot until I let go of the option key.

Scott

My PB G3 | Bronze does the same thing. When I hold down the option key to boot into OS9, it just keeps rebooting. Try the system disk util. It's pretty good. So far, anyway. And does anyone know why Apple left out the Restart command from the special menu? That's a damn classic!

My CD hasnt come yet but i have read in other forums that if you hold down option and click the special menu restart appears.... can anyone verify this?

Originally posted by jbwalsh

In Summary "System Disk" Application copied from the OS X Install CD will switch you from OS 9 to OS X and System Preference Starup Disk icon in OS X will allow you to go back to the OS 9 Partition.

Apple made a blunder in not informing people of these essential facts and there is as yet nothing posted on this crucial topic on their feedback and answers site!!

Why would they post it on their answers site? Take a look at page 25 of the Mac OS X manual (in the Troubleshooting section). There are two topics titled "You need to start up your computer using Mac OS 9" and "You want to start up in Mac OS X after starting up in Mac OS 9". They describe the same thing that is in your post.

The manual's not enough? Then click on LateBreakingNews.help in the Dock. There is an entry called "Changing your startup disk" in the "About using Mac OS X" section.

But I guess Apple realized that that wouldn't be enough for some people. There is now an article in the TIL.

http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n25179

[Edited by aberkvam on 09-22-2000 at 01:25 AM]

Originally posted by Barney
My CD hasnt come yet but i have read in other forums that if you hold down option and click the special menu restart appears.... can anyone verify this?

Yup. If you hold down the option key while clicking on the "Special" menu in the Desktop, the "Shut Down" option changes to a "Restart" option.

Option click = restart. Cool trick. This is going to be fun. What other tricks do we know? There's a whole section of this site for it. Show us your tricks! lol
Anyway, I've heard about ALOT of Easter Eggs. I want them.

Back