Switching to Panther

senzo

Registered
*The 2nd install CD won't install since the appliction Installer is unable to install anything
*The menus when have opened TextEdit are inclickable
and it crashes each time I use foreign laguages (such as persian)
*Safari can open, but no windows
*Several of system preferences causes them all to crash when attempting to open them

What went wrong with 10.3!?!?!?!?!

Sounds like you might have a bad/damaged installer disk. Try burning a copy of Panther Disk 2 and if it copies successfully retry the install using the new copy. Or you can contact Apple and ask for a new Installer Disk 2.

So it it indeed the 2nd install disk that messed things up...even though I haven't done anything with it?
First intall cd seemed to work fine, but I got the impression that it was the one that failed. Hmm...

slur said:
Sounds like you might have a bad/damaged installer disk. Try burning a copy of Panther Disk 2 and if it copies successfully retry the install using the new copy. Or you can contact Apple and ask for a new Installer Disk 2.

There were problems posted on other Mac forums about having a bad second CD in the set. Apple will replace it for you.

If you get a good working second CD, I would wipe the drive and start from scratch.

And read the Board Rules about words like #$*&^%

I tried to "reinstall" 10.2, Panther but I cannot boot from that cd. I tried Restart while pressing C-key - disk ejects, while pressing option key - same thing.
The applicaion "Install Mac OS X" on this cd bounces for some time and then quit by itself.
Is there ANY other options?!?!?

bobw said:
There were problems posted on other Mac forums about having a bad second CD in the set. Apple will replace it for you.

If you get a good working second CD, I would wipe the drive and start from scratch.

And read the Board Rules about words like #$*&^%

I hope I'm parsing your concise post correctly. I assume by "10.2, Panther" you actually mean you're trying to reinstall Jaguar and it's failing to boot. Is it a full Jaguar installer or an upgrade version?

I actually meant 10.2 Jaguar. I was hoping to get back to something that at least works.

I copied the cd:s for Panther from a friend of mine. I guess it's the full installer.

slur said:
I hope I'm parsing your concise post correctly. I assume by "10.2, Panther" you actually mean you're trying to reinstall Jaguar and it's failing to boot. Is it a full Jaguar installer or an upgrade version?

Yeah yeah, but what is the best option for me at this point.
Why can't I just "go back" to Jaguar so long...?

fryke said:
You shouldn't copy Panther from friends, of course.

senzo said:
Yeah yeah, but what is the best option for me at this point.
Why can't I just "go back" to Jaguar so long...?

Wooah...bad choice, indeed, to copy something so vital as a new OS cd and complain about it afterwards :D

If I were you I wouldn't even go posting about it at all!
Stay away from illeagal crappola and start from scratch.

/G

It would be good if you could get back to Jaguar, of course. Can you describe your system including the model, amount of RAM, size of hard drives, etc.

On systems that support booting with the option key you shouldn't have any trouble doing a clean install of Jaguar. However, I seem to recall there were certain issues with Jaguar installing on larger drive partitions - over 8GB. On the other hand, that might have been fixed before Jaguar.

If your system came with Jaguar preinstalled you might have to use the System Restore discs that came with your computer.

If the problem is that your Jaguar discs simply won't boot - and similar problems have occurred with other discs - then it could be an issue with the optical drive itself. A thorough lens-cleaning might be all it needs, or there may be more serious issues.

Obviously, without more details we could theorize all day.

I have what seems to be a similar problem. When upgrading from MacOS X 10.1.5 (I think) on my G4 Cube (with 128 MB of RAM) to Panther, the installation process only got a couple of minutes into the second disc -- about to install iTunes -- when the message "There were errors installing the software" appeared.

Now my computer is in a very dysfunctional state. Basically, the Finder doesn't work. After start-up the Finder menu bar flashes on and off indefinitely. There is nothing on the desktop. Not even the hard drive icon. I can still access some applications through the dock. Safari is OK. System Preferences and Terminal are not -- they start but can't open any windows.

At first I assumed this was simply a case of a damaged second installation disc, so I borrowed a spare set of Panther CDs from a co-worker. But when I tried those, I got the exact same problem. "There were errors installing the software", at the same place. I also tried the first set of CDs on a different machine (an eMac), where the installation went fine. So the disc appears to be OK.

How do I solve this? I've considered going back to an earlier system, but judging from the previous messages in this thread, that doesn't seem to be an option. And I'd prefer not trying a "clean install", because if that doesn't work either, I will lose even the rudimentary functionality I have left now.

Never mind. I found a workaround in Apple's support database. Apparently, Panther sometimes can't install the new iTunes on top of a pre-existing version 1.0.

All I needed to do was boot from an older system CD, remove the iTunes 1.0 package and run the installer again. Now my computer is functioning normally.

Back