Switching to PB12" worst decision ever?

Yup, that clears it up :) Still a bit disappointing that they didn't put that functionality into the 12"ers. Ah well.
BTW: I'm running 10.2.6 like any self respecting Mac'er would ;)
C

... I was just going over the Steve Jobs keynote from the MacWorld 2003 SF to find the bit about the Burton iPod jacket, and thought I'd watch the introduction of the 17" and 12" PBs again. And the lying b*stard actually claims that the 12" PB has the same battery life as the iBook. That is SOOO not true. I wonder if we could sue :) (just kidding).
C

i dunno if this is gonna help you at all, but try turning the screen brightness down as low as you can stand it and still see.
this DRASTICALLY increases the battery power for every laptop i've been on (apple and pc).

you've probably already tried this, but it's worth saying to anyone else reading this thread.

PM - I'll sell it you for €3000 + shipping ;)
boi - thnx for the tip, but yes, I have already tried it :( ... the fact of the matter is that the PB12" has a v.crappy battery life when compared to the iBook, which has just about the best battery life I've encountered in a notebook yet. It just irks me somewhat that Apple claims the PB12" has the same battery life as the iBook, when it quite blatently doesn't. Perhaps they've made some energy saving improvements in Panther. I hope so :)

C

Strange, but eventhough it seems so less logical, I had different experiences. I would say that the screen brightness doesn't play such a big role as many expect. This is how I compared it:
Watched two movies (avis) in a row. Screen-output on tv. One time the mac screen on full brightness and the other time completly off. I even watched exactly the same movies. I just had 10mins more with the screen being off. Not that much, huh?
Btw, tested on my tibook.

Originally posted by Zammy-Sam
I discovered the same. My brother has the alubook 12 inch as well and the battery has a very low endurance compared to my ibook. Well, it's not the current 900 G3, but even 600Mhz still allows me to watch two divx movies.
And about the thing of the high draining while sleep-mode: have the same with my tibook. And ibooks? I would say I lost 1% after one night of sleep-mode..

Well ... I used to leave the iBook in sleep mode. in 24 hours it normally had gone down 10 %, not 1 %. Lets see what kind of numbers will get with the powerbook.

Giaguara - He said over night - not in 24 hours. Slight difference there :) I'd say over night I lost about 3% with the iBook - but with the PB12" I loose over 15%. So that's five times worse.
Zammy-Sam - I'm finding the same thing: the battery life doesn't seem to be much affected by anything apart from DVD/CD usage and possibly WiFi usage. Screen brightness - HD spin down - all that stuff doesn't seem to make *much* difference (although it does make some difference, of course :))
C

LOL.
Well - I've got Bluetooth off, coz I don't use that, but have WiFi on, coz I've got a WiFi network - so it'd be a bit silly turning it off :) I *do* have loads of locations set with only the network IFs switched on which I need in that location and religiously switch between them. And I have also noticed that the battery looses less when I'm on the train and have no NW IFs on.
C

While I think of it - has anyone here got Yellow Dog on their PB and can report on power consumption using that? Could give us an idea of whether the SW can make much improvement (assuming the Linux distro has good power management )
C

Back