Synchronization

piquant

Registered
Thank god for forums, where else could you ask a question like this? Let me pose a simple scenario. Suppose I hypothetically deep-six a file or something like an address book with a lot of one line entries which ends up in the bowels of my machine. Laboriously I reconstruct as much of my file as I can remember, and then dramatically find the lost file where I had "safely" parked it while "tweaking" Mail. Now I have two files, but they're not the same because I've been adding to the 2nd file.

No problem says a friend, there's software out there that will synchronize both folders.

What does this really mean? What happens? What will I end up with? I downloaded LaCie for free because another friend advised it could do the the sync job, but I can't figure out how to even start the process. The nerdy language gave my simple brain a migraine. I've been doing all this stuff on Mac OS X 10.3.9

Is there a knight on a white horse out there?

If it is your Address Book folder, you'd be best off following this procedure instead of any "syncing" steps since its the least likely to mess up what you've rescued.
- Make backup copies of both files.
- Setup a new user account
- Import the recovered file into that account's address book.
- Once you are happy that the recovered file is working OK, export the addresses as VCARDs
- Switch back to your main account and import the VCARDs into your main address book
- If it all worked OK, get rid of the second account.

Much obliged. I'll try to follow your suggestions tomorrow after my brain freshens up overnight. This whole business has really tried my patience, I marvel how gifted I am in screwing myself up.

Back