Syncing iCal without .Mac?

Ripcord

Senior Lurker
Hi everyone,

I'd like to synchronize my iCal calendars amongst a few different machines (at worst, between two, one at work, one at home).

I'm trying to find a way that's as transparent and simple as possible from a usage standpoint - something at least as transparent as using .Mac synchronization.

I've seen lots of different methods, including using FTP, Apple file sharing, etc. I know I recently saw an article talking about syncronization using iSync, but without .Mac (I assume using WebDAV somewhere or something).

I have no problem setting up something on my system(s) at home that can be contacted by my machine at work, if needed.

What's your favorite way to synchronize iCal (besides .Mac)?

There've been discussions on this before, but usually the answers have been "oh, just write a script to FTP up such-and-such file, you just have to make sure you don't have iCal running when the job kicks off or it will fail, and 3.4% chance it will corrupt everything". Also, new technology is out. So I'm asking the question again =)

With WebDav all you can do is allow others to subscribe to your calendars synced to a remote WebDav server. Only you can change details of the calendar, not anyone who is subscribed. So it's great to show someone your dates, but not of much use otherwise.

There is a project going, but hasn't really proceeded for a while.
Until Apple release a SDK for new plugins for iSync, I don't see a solution happening any time soon.

Back