syncing iTunes directories - not working quite right on a MacBook Pro

chornbe

Who, me?
So, when I had my iBook, I would sync from my iMac (PPC) to my iBook and my iBook would reflect my current iMac library. I usually did this via RSYNC, with a command like:

(from the iBook after mounting my home directory on my iMac)
rsync -avp --delete /Volumes/chornbe/Music/ ./Music

and all would be well.

Doing the *EXACT* same thing from my MacBook Pro, however, makes it so that if I happen to do a "Update Podcasts", the MacBook then goes and downloads all the podcasts I know longer keep around because they've already been listened-to.

Any ideas on why this might be? I've verified versions and same settings across all machines involved.

Thanks in advance.

How is iTunes set on the MacBook? Is it on it's own collecting Podcasts or is it on manual?

Maybe, if it's on automatic, it tries to refresh entries for old podcasts that are somewhat still left over in the folder you sync

It's set to do it automatically, just as the iBook was. I'm very anal about keeping the directories clean (and I sound like an idiot saying "know" rather than "no" in the post above), so I only have it set to keep episodes that have not been listened to and such.

I've been over all the computers involved with a pretty fine-toothed comb and I just feel like there must be some difference between the Intel installation and the PPC installation - tho' these are all data files (most plain text XML), and simple file- and directory structures; and that just makes no sense, the intel vs. ppc thing.

I could refresh the iBook all day long and it wouldn't DL the old episodes, but the MacBook wants to every time. Grr.

Very annoying (sigh)

chornbe said:
so I only have it set to keep episodes that have not been listened to and such.

Maybe that's the problem? I mean, on the MacBook, you have not listened to the episodes, and I don't know if the fact that you listened to 'em on the other Mac gets transported over during the copy process

Damrod said:
Maybe that's the problem? I mean, on the MacBook, you have not listened to the episodes, and I don't know if the fact that you listened to 'em on the other Mac gets transported over during the copy process

That's an excellent suggestion, except that it did work on the iBook. That was my hope, that I had to run thru' them to set a marker somewhere other than in /Users/chornbe/ somewhere. So, I let a few of them play, then did a new rsync session with the same results.

I may just have to settle on one machine or the other as my iTunes machine - probably the portable - and deal with it (sigh)

Thanks.

Back