Synergy for iTunes

rb2u

Registered
Synergy Classic for iTunes

That's another handy tool for not only controlling iTunes but also it automatically downloads album covers from Amazon for any song in your library and displays them with track information in a customizable floating transparent window.

Freaky - I didn't know there was a Synergy other than the iTunes one.

But the iTunes Synergy is simply awesome - control iTunes without leaving the application you're working on - Play/Pause, Next/Previous, etc, all from the keyboard! Indispensible.

Get it at http://wincent.com/a/products/synergy-classic/

BTW, don't be confused by the "Classic" part of the name - Synergy for iTunes is definitely an OS X add-on, but it now comes in 2 versions - the current version is called Classic, and a proposed new version for OS 10.4 (Tiger) is called Advanced.

vistate said:
Too funny, i just posted another version of an app like this called EventSharring!

Never tried synergy but will give it a shot!
I didn't try yours but it looks like it is more user friendly than Synergy. Unless you are on windows you have to figure out the syntax of the config file because they only wrote a GUI for windows.

I did make a really quick and dirty java app that makes the config for you, its not really that great but it is easier than editing the text file(which isnt that hard either but I had a really hard time explaining it to my friend)

I really like this program. I mainly use it between my Mac and PC because I like using my Mac as my main machine but I sometimes need to test stuff in IE or use SQL Studio.

PS thanks for the showing me the other Synergy, I've been looking for something like this :)

rb2u said:
I thought you were posting about the iTunes controller also known as Synergy: another handy tool for not only controlling iTunes but also it automatically downloads album covers from Amazon for any song in your library and displays them with track information in a customizable floating transparent window.

I just wish it would then store them in my iTunes library! :(

applewhore said:
I just wish it would then store them in my iTunes library! :(

Perhaps not a bad thing -
1. sometimes (not often) Synergy gets the wrong album cover
2. in iTunes, the album cover art actually gets written into the mp3 file (I think - please enlighten me if I'm mistaken), and I would rather not have my mp3s altered without my prior approval.

Still, if you want Synergy's album art to end up in iTunes itself, you can import it manually:
1. In the Finder, search for any key word(s) in the song title or artist name. The search results will include the cover art you need, always with "Album Covers" as the parent folder, and almost always with a .tiff file extension.
2. Select the right file in the results, and press Apple + r on the keyboard. This will open Synergy's Album Covers folder, with the cover art file pre-selected.
3. Drag the selected file to the Album Artwork panel in iTunes (obviously, you have to select the right song first!)

Somewhat laborious, but better than digging around manually for the right art.
<Cry for help> Can anyone AppleScript this process?

Adding album cover art to iTunes does increase the file size of the songs which can be a problem for iPod users conserving space. Unless you have a Photo iPod you won't see album covers on the iPod.

Synergy has a menu item "Show Album Covers Folder" to help get to the artwork.

I have used synergy, and it is a awesome program to control iTunes with. However since i dont have a credit card i couldnt buy it, so i found Bytecontroller.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15170

The thing i really miss about synergy is how it announces the song that is playing from itunes in the rounded transparent rectangles. Does anyone know whehter there is a program that can do that besides synergy ?

I tried this Synergy program out once. I liked it, but the one feature I wanted to see was a volume slider just for iTunes alongside the buttons in the menu bar. I actually emailed the developer about it, and he just suggested something else involving hot keys or something. <shrug> I didn't buy it.

iTunes' minimized window works pretty good for me I guess. It helps now that you can choose to have it float on top of all windows.

MDLarson said:
...one feature I wanted to see was a volume slider just for iTunes alongside the buttons in the menu bar. I actually emailed the developer about it, and he just suggested something else involving hot keys or something.
Yes, Synergy has the ability to set hot keys for many iTunes functions like volume up or down. No it doesn't have the visual graphic volume slider which would require you to mouse over and precisely slide it where desired. I prefer keystrokes whenever possible though. I suppose you could use the Synergy hot key to bring iTunes to the front and then use the slider there.

Synergy is worth a lot more than the $10 cost!

Completely agree, Synergy is awesome! Got some cool features, but it certainly could expand itself with different designed floaters.

There is a project called Growl that is designed for showing messages in overlays in OS X from different applications. In fact, the latest Synergy uses it. They have an iTunes plug in which will do what you want (not sure about the the album art, though)

http://growl.info/

Bhavesh

smithy said:
I have used synergy, and it is a awesome program to control iTunes with. However since i dont have a credit card i couldnt buy it, so i found Bytecontroller.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15170

The thing i really miss about synergy is how it announces the song that is playing from itunes in the rounded transparent rectangles. Does anyone know whehter there is a program that can do that besides synergy ?

Has anyone tried sizzlingkeys for itunes it works in nearly exactly the same way and has more than enough features for most people, also I think it has one feature that synergy doesn't a key combo that allows you to search for a track and then play one or all of the results http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14164
PS also it's free :>:>

Back