System 7 Floppy

#1 Rhapsody

Mac Guru
Is there a way to use System 7 completely off floppies while still being usable? The minimum OS is 7.1.1. Would that be any smaller than 7.5? I currently am using the System and Finder from the Network boot disk and RamDisk+ for a RAM disk.

I would like to use it as a web server, if possible.

Any suggestions?

There _are_ ways to slim down System 7.1, but if you want to have a webserver running off of it, you'll need the network stuff, and floppies only have _so_ much space to use. (The original Disk Tools disk contained a bootable system 7 on one disk AFAIK.) I'm not sure whether it can be done, but more importantly, I'm not sure whether it _should_ be done. A 3.5" floppy disk is not exactly something that'll live forever with constant read-write actions due to the webserver running. (Well, mostly read actions, I guess...)

There _are_ ways to slim down System 7.1, but if you want to have a webserver running off of it, you'll need the network stuff, and floppies only have _so_ much space to use. (The original Disk Tools disk contained a bootable system 7 on one disk AFAIK.) I'm not sure whether it can be done, but more importantly, I'm not sure whether it _should_ be done. A 3.5" floppy disk is not exactly something that'll live forever with constant read-write actions due to the webserver running. (Well, mostly read actions, I guess...)

Disk Tools is what I used when I ran my 1400 off of a floppy.

icemanjc,

What did you do with your PB 1400? I haven't found many possibilities for my PB use.

Sorry, school keeps me pretty busy.

Well I had my 1400 about two to three years ago and I pretty much only used it for word processing in school and maybe a couple of games. Also at that time my hard drive was functional.

Honestly, I don't see a reason to use a floppy as a startup disk. When I ran off a floppy I just used SimpleText and nothing more. The system itself takes up more than half the floppy. I would simple replace the hard drive, it's cheap and not to hard to do.

Eventually I upgraded the 1400, it had a processor upgrade to 250 mhz G3 and a 20 GB hard drive, it also had an ethernet PC card so I could have internet on it easily. Eventually I sold it with Microsoft Office Suite and bunch of old school games.

Sorry, school keeps me pretty busy.

That's OK. I thought you weren't going to answer though because you visited earlier this morning.

Anyway,

The HD would be hard to find a replacement for. It is a 2.5" SCSI drive. Do you know where to get one?

When you ran off floppy could you use the battery?

Thanks,
#1 Rhapsody

Why wouldn't you be able to use the battery when running off a floppy? The battery doesn't care... I'm not sure whether the HD or Floppy uses more power, but both work just fine when running on battery power.

Why wouldn't you be able to use the battery when running off a floppy? The battery doesn't care... I'm not sure whether the HD or Floppy uses more power, but both work just fine when running on battery power.

I think you need at least the minimal install for the battery icon to show up. Because of this, I don't think it knows that there is a battery installed when I boot from a Network Access disk.

Running off of the battery is hardware and not software related. The PMU board controls this.

I looked around and I can't find any scsi hard drives that are seperate from the computer, your best bet is to buy a laptop and take the hard drive out of that, but it's kind of defeating the purpose.

Running off of the battery is hardware and not software related. The PMU board controls this.

If that is the case then why can't I run from battery for a bit. I would think with 2 batteries at least 1 would hold even a small charge. I have used the battery reconditioning software several times and the batteries never work.

If that is the case then why can't I run from battery for a bit. I would think with 2 batteries at least 1 would hold even a small charge. I have used the battery reconditioning software several times and the batteries never work.

That laptop is pretty old, back when I had a Duo 230 with about three batteries that did not hold a charge at all so it's probably the same in this situation as well. Also those batteries aren't as efficient at today's.

Reconditioning never made a difference for me either with any laptop that it worked on.

Back