System Clean up

jkohler22

Registered
What is the best way to clean up my system in OS X? I would use Norton Utilities, but is this the best way to go? I love OS X but, I am not a Unix guy.

noooooooooo! please don't!!

norton utilities cannot deal with unix files at all. i used norton once to clean up my system, and it told me i had all these files with wrong names (name begins with a dot) ... not knowing anything about unix either at the time, i let norton rename all these files, assuming the app knew what it was doing... next thing i couldn't boot into x anymore as i had inadvertently renamed all the relevant system files ... so x didn't even know it had been installed anymore ... had to reinstall... :(

disk warrior will do a much better job, especially as it allows you to preview any changes it thinks you ought to allow it to make before actually making them ... so please stay away from norton utilities whatever you do ...

... Norton Utilities is the only application (that I know of) that runs in OS 9 but is actually certified to work with OS X partitions. I don't know if DiskWarrior is certified to work with OS X partitions. And you CAN preview fixes in Norton Utilites before it fixes them -- you just need to enable that feature in the preferences.

I think Norton Utilities will probably be decent, but remember, as sithious said, you DO NOT want to rename files that start with a period. UNIX uses the period at the beginning of a sentence to signify that it is invisible. So make sure you turn on the preview of fixes before you fix your OS X partition.

A better bet, though, would probably be Drive 10. Although it did not get spectacular reviews, it is built specifically for OS X and ignore problems like the . at the beginning of file names that UNIX uses. Drive 10 is basically a precursor to an OS X compatible TechTool Pro. It's the only drive utility built for OS X right now, though. So I would suggest that.

Hi. I'm not a Unix guy. I love OS X, but I am having trouble deleting a file that was downloaded from a web site. I dragged it to my desktop, and instead of a jpeg, I got a "." file. I've downloaded another comic jpg renamed with the same name in the same directory (desktop), and I think I've replaced whatever it was. I was concerned it was malicious code or some sort of web marketing spy tool. However, have no idea how to get rid of an "." file. Terminal does not seem to allow me to delete such files in the typical "rm" command.

This is very annoying, and a little troubling. I don't want all sorts of invisible objects on my desktop doing strange things. Using Norton Utilities in OS 9 I do not believe works for this location, in a user designated desktop area. And I can't move the file to another location in the finder or in Sherlock. I'm not sure I really get how to do this in terminal mode.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Script started on Sun Nov 11 21:23:56 2001
[localhost:~] spencer% cd Desktop
[localhost:~/Desktop] spencer% ls -al
total 24
drwx------ 3 spencer staff 264 Nov 11 20:51 .
drwxr-xr-x 16 spencer staff 500 Nov 11 21:23 ..
-rw-rw-rw- 1 spencer staff 8196 Nov 11 20:14 .DS_Store

[localhost:~/Desktop] spencer% touch .testfile
[localhost:~/Desktop] spencer% ls
total 24
drwx------ 4 spencer staff 92 Nov 11 21:24 .
-rw-r--r-- 1 spencer staff 0 Nov 11 21:24 .testfile

[localhost:~/Desktop] spencer% rm .testfile
[localhost:~/Desktop] spencer% ls
total 24
drwx------ 4 spencer staff 92 Nov 11 21:24 .

[localhost:~/Desktop] spencer%

Thank you! I did it. I really appreciate your help! I've posted the history below to show an abbreviated list of the commands typed into the terminal.

[localhost:~/desktop] Maximus% history
1 18:50 cd desktop
2 18:50 ls -al
3 18:51 touch .sbean
4 18:51 ls -al
5 18:51 rm .sbean
6 18:51 ls -al
7 18:53 history
[localhost:~/desktop] Maximus%

Back