system crash aagain and again

cameronim

Registered
Machine iMac g5.osx 10.4 Purchased August 2005. Since that time the hard drive has been replaced and I have had to re install operating system three times. All for the same problem. Machine will freeze. I turn off. Re start, machine will not load operating system Run utilities disc, machine shows no hard drive. Advice received from Mac support was to erase and re install. This I do with no problems, except I have lost my programns and information. This may be coincidental but just prior to each freeze I noticed that Safari had disappeared from finder and yesterday just prior to freeze my Word processing had disappear. Advice now from Apple is to bring machine to service shop. This involves a rather lengthy trip on a bus, since machine now is operating, shows no symptoms, Disc utilities show no problems, I am unsure as to what that would benefit as the system was erased yesterday and operating system re installed. Problem seems to happen approx every 10 weeks

Sounds like you Imac is still under the year warranty. I certainly understand your concern carrying it around back and forth to a authorized repair store.

How often do you maintenance you Mac (E.g, repair permissions, etc)?

Ever since the first replacment of the H.D. I have made a point of running my maintenance repair permissions, verify disc every four days. Never any problems apart from correcting permissions but disc always shows clean from any defects. When I crash my HD shows as do3 instead of Hard drive This do3 name can not be clicked intp life. The HD also shows as unmounted if I run repair disc. (Sorry this should have been first Thank you for the reply)

Back