System Crashes When Attempting to Run Apps. Someone Help

marcost

Registered
nothing on my computer works. I belive its from the 10.2.6 upgrade. I can't run any programs or anything. It starts up and when i try to run a program, it freezes up. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME as I am new to macs...Please help ASAP...Thanks

Ugh... another victim of Apple's instable updates. The best thing I can recommend is to downgrade to the last stable version you used. This means do a clean install of 10.2 and upgrade back to whatever you had before 10.2.6, like 10.2.3 or 10.2.5.

You need to start up from your OSX install CD. Start the machine, insert the CD and press the C key to start from the CD.

I have a similar problem but I am told I can't reinstall because the version is later than my CD.

How do you cleanly uninstall the OSX that is on the HD?

In fact how do you resolve system problems without doing reinstalls. My OSX progressively became a wreck. In OS9 Conflict Catcher quickly isolates problem extensions and you get back to work. OSX you are stuck.

...after you will do ANY kind of reinstalling try to do the following:
-Use Combo updates from Apple
-Try not to use haxies and other stuff that may not be compatible with your OS
-Try not to install in general stuff that you do not know or understand even if you hear other people saying the best things about them
-Repair permissions once in a month (or after any system update)
-Prebind your system
-Check for disk problems and if you find any, repair them
-Do not install ANYTHING even from Apple before you DO read positive stuff from experienced users and even when you do read try to understand if you need the same stuff

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff here :rolleyes: but...

...all in all, if you play by the rules you will not encounter any serious troubles for months if not for years... :p :D

;)

:)

Thanx, some of that advice is hard to follow in practice but I'll try s:)

How DO you repair permissions and pre-bind your system?

Originally posted by gastroboy
Thanx, some of that advice is hard to follow in practice but I'll try s:)

How DO you repair permissions and pre-bind your system?

...you can do both of these things the easy way by getting a utility like Cocktail by www.versiontracker.com/macosx/

or

use the built-in Terminal commands and/or Disk Utility located in Utilities folder inside your Applications folder (or in OS X 10.2 CD1 by selecting it from the menu)... :rolleyes:

Still, I would recommend you to update first to 10.2.6 by using the Combo Update from Apple or from a friend :D

Oh, and whatever you do, DON'T format your disk in simple HFS or Unix file system (always go for HFS+) :eek:

;)

With OS X on your computer, formatting in HFS would be bad because all the little files would take up oodles and oodles of wasted space, and with UFS you couldn't do just about anything.

UFS works fine in OS X :p It's just not case sensitive like HFS+ is. Also doesn't have native support for resource forks.

I use a UFS partition for my swap files, works fine.

There is a plus to using UFS, though - it doesn't get fragmented like HFS+ does. That's about the only plus I can think of. :D

Hmm, and hulkaros, you don't need to manually run update_prebinding on Jaguar anymore. There's a process called fix_prebinding that runs whenever the system launches an application that has never been prebound or where the prebinding needs to be updated. Even works for CLI programs, though those don't usually have any sort of prebinding at all.

Again how do I prebind if it is a CLI thingy what is the exact incantation I must invoke.

btw I was on 10.2.6 when the whole house of cards descended around my ears.

Again how do I prebind if it is a CLI thingy what is the exact incantation I must invoke.

btw I was on 10.2.6 when the whole house of cards descended around my ears.

...if you will install the Combo Update OS X 10.2.6 and you don't have stuff that alter your OS in any strange ways you should be more than fine with it...

Usually the normal (aka small) system Updates are the ones that have troubles... Read again our previous postings and you will be ok! :D

;)

but it still screwed up.

Currently mouse is locked up in top left corner and all volumes appear as folders.

fsck reports disk as OK, so I guess the system is hosed.

How do disable OSX so i can reinstall an older system in its place?

In OS9 you just separate the finder and system and it does the job. OSX is a nightmare when things go wrong.

but it still screwed up.

Currently mouse is locked up in top left corner and all volumes appear as folders.

fsck reports disk as OK, so I guess the system is hosed.

How do disable OSX so i can reinstall an older system in its place?

In OS9 you just separate the finder and system and it does the job. OSX is a nightmare when things go wrong.

...then you really MUST format your disk and do a fresh new install of OS X.2 (or Archive and Install) and then update to 10.2.6 Combo Update... :( Sorry :eek:

But I insist that if you follow the rules no problems like the ones you mention will appear... Good luck! :D ;)

I have already gone down the clean install route on a fresh hard drive.

Immediately I started and went to preferences to set the system up the way I need it, I got a perpetual spinning beachball that force quit wouldn't get rid off. So yet again I am hard restarting on, I repeat, a clean unaltered installation.

I have 4 hard drives, 2 internal & 2 external FW. One internal has OSX 10.2.6 with the mouse locked up in the top left corner and volumes showing up as folders. The 2nd internal I refuse to mess around with as it has my OS9 system which is working fine and I'd like to keep it that way thank you.

The 1st external 75gb FW is greyed out as an installation option and always has been. The 2nd 120gb FW HD has OSX 10.2 which shows a line from terminal upon bootup: "sh - 2.05a#"which is a shell which I can't get out of.

I can't reinstall over any of my existing systems because I am now trying to get to a lower version OS. I am seriously thinking of getting yet another FW HD to make this my 5th reinstallation and to back up all my work off the previous drives so I can wipe them clean again.

My experience with all this makes me dread the time lost in resetting up all my applications and files all over again. I also believe it will not give me a stable system because I have never seen one since I moved to OSX nearly 2 years ago.

I have already gone down the clean install route on a fresh hard drive.

Immediately I started and went to preferences to set the system up the way I need it, I got a perpetual spinning beachball that force quit wouldn't get rid off. So yet again I am hard restarting on, I repeat, a clean unaltered installation.

I have 4 hard drives, 2 internal & 2 external FW. One internal has OSX 10.2.6 with the mouse locked up in the top left corner and volumes showing up as folders. The 2nd internal I refuse to mess around with as it has my OS9 system which is working fine and I'd like to keep it that way thank you.

The 1st external 75gb FW is greyed out as an installation option and always has been. The 2nd 120gb FW HD has OSX 10.2 which shows a line from terminal upon bootup: "sh - 2.05a#"which is a shell which I can't get out of.

I can't reinstall over any of my existing systems because I am now trying to get to a lower version OS. I am seriously thinking of getting yet another FW HD to make this my 5th reinstallation and to back up all my work off the previous drives so I can wipe them clean again.

My experience with all this makes me dread the time lost in resetting up all my applications and files all over again. I also believe it will not give me a stable system because I have never seen one since I moved to OSX nearly 2 years ago.

Unplug ALL hard disks except the internal one with the problematic OS X installation and format the heck out of it, then install OS X.2? :p :D

Did you install the latest firmware for your Mac? Did you try to reset the PRAM and/or your Mac's "BIOS" via the mainboard?

And one other thing: Wouldn't it be better if you took your Mac to your nearest authorized Apple Store in order for it to get fixed? :rolleyes:

;)

>>Unplug ALL hard disks except the internal one with the problematic OS X installation and format the heck out of it, then install OS X.2?<<

I have already reinstalled that one twice with a reformat between. Once with v10.1 and again with 10.2. It is not a quick process and I am after a while back in trouble again.

>>Did you install the latest firmware for your Mac?<<

yes

>>Did you try to reset the PRAM<<

yes

>>and/or your Mac's "BIOS" via the mainboard?<<

This a first for me, sounds very PC-ish. Where on Earth do you rest the BIOS? Do you mean remove the batteries and replace them?

>>And one other thing: Wouldn't it be better if you took your Mac to your nearest authorized Apple Store in order for it to get fixed?<<

I have been a Mac user for 17 years, long enough to know to get an Apple store involved is expensive and rarely results in a fix for the long term. Guess I am used to managing by myself. But OSX is such a different and undocumented OS, it is extremely difficult to fix (just like Windows).

When I have given up all other options, yes I might take it to the Apple dealer.

To clarify my thinking. To have an Apple dealer trouble shoot my problems will cost a minimum of $100, maybe over $200. This money would be better put towards a new FW drive.

>>Unplug ALL hard disks except the internal one with the problematic OS X installation and format the heck out of it, then install OS X.2?<<

I have already reinstalled that one twice with a reformat between. Once with v10.1 and again with 10.2. It is not a quick process and I am after a while back in trouble again.

>>Did you install the latest firmware for your Mac?<<

yes

>>Did you try to reset the PRAM<<

yes

>>and/or your Mac's "BIOS" via the mainboard?<<

This a first for me, sounds very PC-ish. Where on Earth do you rest the BIOS? Do you mean remove the batteries and replace them?

>>And one other thing: Wouldn't it be better if you took your Mac to your nearest authorized Apple Store in order for it to get fixed?<<

I have been a Mac user for 17 years, long enough to know to get an Apple store involved is expensive and rarely results in a fix for the long term. Guess I am used to managing by myself. But OSX is such a different and undocumented OS, it is extremely difficult to fix (just like Windows).

When I have given up all other options, yes I might take it to the Apple dealer.

In order to be more of help, post here in details your exact config of your Mac and its peripherals... Then we will see... :D ;)

Back