System fonts not listed in Font Book

James Johnson

Registered
I understand that it is not possible to delete or disable SYSTEM fonts.
I have 27 fonts listed in Hard Drive/System/Library/fonts including these four:
AquaKanaBold, AquaKanReg, Keyboard and Last Resort. However they are not listed in the Fonts Book. In case they are really essential, I have used Pacifist to extract them from the Install CD and have tried to add them to the Font Book - but no go.
Other System fonts ARE listed in the Font Book and also listed in Word 2004 for Mac. I don't wish to delete or disable any of them but I wondered -
1) Although I have experienced no problems with this, is this correct? and
2) What applications use Keyboard and Last Resort?

And if there is a fonts expert out there:
The Apple Article ID 25710 lists nineteen "Essential System Software fonts" and mentions the specific applications that use two of the fonts - Terminal needs Monaco and Address Book requires Helvetica to work. But I would be interested to know what applcations use the other seventeen.

James Johnson

Keyboard and LastResort aren’t listed in your Font Book.
AquaKanaRegular.otf, AquaKanaBold.otf. These fonts also won't appear in the FontBook. I've found no way of adding them.

Fonts in the Times and Courier families are used by the computer and loads applications and websites. If you delete them, you might have trouble reading some docs.

LucidaGrande.dfont_ (menus, dock, file names, etc.
DO NOT EVER DELETE fonts in the system font file.

Get Linotype's Font Explorer and you can clean your system fonts folder to leave only the required fonts. Ditch FontBook if you do any sort of design or use more than 1000 fonts (each font can have between 1 and 30 or more other fonts inside of it):

http://www.linotype.com/fontexplorer

It's free and I've used it for the past 3 years without any issues.

Hi. Download the free 'Tinker Toy' and put it in your Apps. It can change any font almost anywhere, System', Labels, Apps. Mail, Popups, etc. And it does a bunch of other things to that I don't really mess with.......Dean M

Back