System freeze after connecting!

lonny

Fearless Thinker
This has happened to me twice now.
Come back home, start my Mac, connect to the net (dial up), start mail and a browser (Omni or Netscape6)... and BANG! BEACH BALL!
Everything freezes, force quit doesn't show up... I have to restart.
Then I restart and everything works just fine!

Is it just that my Mac misses me during the day anf is upset for leaving him alone?

I've started having system freezes too.

Mine aren't anything to do with web browsers, though. Sometimes it's when I'm waking the Powerbook from sleep, sometimes it seems to be when Classic is booting, sometimes it's while I'm staring at a word processor trying to think of what to write next.

So much for Mac OS X being stable. :-(

for a lot of us it has to do with connecting to the net. we get the 'jitters'. Nothing respons but the mouse moves very jittery across the screen. No fixes for it though. Eventually it all comes back. Sometimes after a few seconds sometimes after minutes.

Twister

Thanks testuser, but after 24 hours with no crashes on my setup, it appears my problem of random hangs at least is fixed.

As I linked to above, it had to do with having carbon applications in the list of programs to launch on login. A bad bug to be sure, but I can do without them.

Perhaps it's just coincidence the original poster was connecting to the net when the crashes happened.

Worth a look at anyway.

Cheers

Well well well.

After two days of working fine, the crashes returned with a vengeance, in fact worse than ever. It got to the point where it wouldn't even boot past the gray screen.

I tried testuser's suggestions, and what do you know : I had a bad RAM chip!

And the moral of the story is: you might have more than one problem at any given time.

Back