System Freezing and Kernal Errors

cctryan

Registered
I have a PowerMacG5 (Dual 2GhZ) running OS X Server 10.4.11. Starting yesterday morning It has started freezing periodically. When it freezes no one can log on using ssh, and I can not log on while sitting at the actual computer. The only way to fix it is to reboot. The below lines appear in the log file around the time this happens.

May 8 08:01:32 binf memberd25066: Fatal error -1 submitting to kernel (1: Operation not permitted)\n
May 8 08:01:32 binf memberd5070: memberd starting up

Now while it is up and working apache and mysql are crashing. They are both giving this error:
Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000

Does anyone know what is going on?

That could be a bunch of things. One of the easiest to test would be for bad memory. Rebooting with only one RAM chip installed at a time is a good first round of tests.

I've had a G4 that passed the Apple Hardware Test while having continuous kernel panics and trouble starting up. It turned out to be the logic board itself, a problem that Hardware Test was clearly unable to detect.

My first guesses are always

1. Bad memory
2. Bad logic board
3. USB or other device bus panic kernel

#2 is hard to eliminate. Re: #3: Do you have any external devices that might be troubling either the USB or FireWire buses?

There's a discussion on the Apple forums with useful kernel panic-related links.

There are no external devices attached. You said the hardware test was unable to detect eh bad logic board. Can it have the same problem with memory. If so how do I determine if the memory is bad?

Back