System Hangs on launching applications

Hobeaux

Registered
I've been having a serious issue with Mac OS X 10.1.1 where applications don't complete their launching process. They get only so far and then crap out with the Spinning Rainbow of Death.

Affects most, but not all applications. ICQ, Dave, and others simply won't launch successfully. Rebooting sometimes helps, but not always.

I've read on the Apple Discussions forums that there's a bug in 10.1.1 where carbon apps set to launch on startup will cause this, but the forum recommends that I login as Root and do some stuff.

Unfortunately, my system won't let me login as Root:
login: root
Password:
root login refused on this terminal.

There's only been one user on the machine and it's not accepting that password. Do I need to actually create a Root user in the Users pane of the System Preferences?

Anyone else experience this trauma??

yes, you need to enable the root user in order to login that way
I can't remember the steps to enable root, I've never had to use it on any MacOS X machine yet.

you should probably reboot, after the chime, hold down command-s (to startup in single user mode)

at the "#" prompt, type "fsck -y" (without the quotes)
if it reports that something was modified, run fsck again until no errors are reported)

if the fsck reports no errors, or if it does, but things still don't work right after they have been fixed, then something else must be going wrong

post back with what happens =)

Enable root via netinfo. Launch, go under edit (i think) and enable (i think) and root access. That will enable the root account.

DON'T FORGET TO CHANGE THE PASSWORD.

Seamus

Back